Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Youth Truth

Today I went and had my hair done. I'm not big on the whole hair thing, as I've mentioned it before, it's dead. And that would be in more ways than one! I USE to get my hair done. I had a great stylist that would primp and pamper and try to get me out of my perfectly symmetrical hair box. I would be there for, seriously no joke, four hours at a time! To get high lights and low lights and color and cut...my now ex-husband would continuously accuse me of having an affair. Seriously, hair was that serious for that hair dresser. But regardless of how good it would look, for that night, I could never justify the time or the cost. Ok, so I justified it for years! Then, I decided to put the coloring money toward something else - like several extra house payments a year or a trip or something. I can't tell you what I spent that saved money on, but I spent it! I stopped getting the regular cuts and started coloring myself. The $220 bill pushed me over the edge that a box or two of color for not even $22 would have to do. And do it did.

I now am no longer seeing that stylist. We didn't have a falling out or anything. He's a great guy - he just didn't fit my budget or time management. It's not so much about the money to have a good hair do - I want low maintenance. And the disappointment that I can never recreate the style of the hairdresser, sucks!

I do now and then get my hair done. When I feel that maybe I should get out of the box, I go for a change. Today was one of those days. I was excited to let the girl doing something different. She seemed young and scared and me telling her to do whatever was slightly overwhelming for her. I suppose the time constraints of less than 1:45 didn't help either. She asked if I wanted to keep the same color. Why would I do that? I told her she could do whatever as long as it wasn't blue, purple or orange. She went low key. She added some foils and did a warmer all over brown color from my dark brown. It's actually very subtle and I like the dimension that I haven't seen in a while.

When I picked up my son from school today for his dentist appointment, the first thing he says...I'm sure you can guess this. "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR?" Nonchalantly I ask him if he likes it, full well knowing the answer. "NO!" He then asks me, "Are you trying to look like Amanda from American Idol?"

NICE...I'm sure we all know what Amanda's hair from AI looks like, right? If not, black top and huge bleached white underneath. NICE.

Oh the honest truth from youth...

No comments: