Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mail Carriers

So my latest issues stem from the mail carrier. Maybe I'm not a good homeowner or a good person. I couldn't tell you who my mail carrier or garbage person (or is that waste management executive) is. I honestly think that it seems to change by the day or week. Flavor of the week employees...as long as things run smoothly - and I follow the rules and put the mail and garbage in their respective places, it's little that I think about. Until recently...

It isn't very often that I end up with other's mail. Typically it is sorted out well. I've never been a mail carrier. But, it would seem to me that you might verify what you are putting in someones mailbox - but I guess that takes to much time to double check consistently. In the last month I have had other's mail and other's mine. Blame that on Granholm I suppose (or as my stepfather says...Grahamcracker) for all the budget cuts and the poor economy. Ok, no offense people - really just throwing it out there. Anyway, in the past two weeks I have tried to understand the unspoken rules of informing a mail carrier that you have received the wrong mail. Apparently I'm not psychic. Took me three times and large dark magic green marker to convince the mail carrier that one envelope wasn't mine. S/He even went so far to take it out of the box on the second day and set it on the table on my porch. Hmmm...not worth looking at I guess. See I live in the city and we have either door slots or boxes - but not mail boxes. So I have one posted on the pillar on my porch. There isn't a flag - it has a flip up lid. Outgoing mail I put half in the box. It's always seemed to work...BEFORE. Yesterday I received another letter (the all important IRS notification of money coming - wow, that's good use of government money to notify us of something I'm sure 95% have heard about either online, on t.v., on the radio from friends/family, from the tax man himself) and then today yet another. I don't want to be obnoxious or treat the mail carrier as incompetent - but I also don't want to be driving the letters all around to find their rightful owners.

I pay my taxes. I shovel my walkway and driveway when I'm home. Hey maybe that's it - maybe my reward is receiving other's mail!

No comments: