Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sleep Walker

My son sleep walks. He has ever since I can remember. I use to think that it was due to his confusion of going back and forth between parental houses. Then add into the mix relatives, step-mother's home, etc. it can make anyone awake...confused. But, it's more than that. Add that to the list to add the new physician tomorrow.

I usually listen for his pitter-patter of big feet around the house when he wakes to go to the bathroom. I've found him all over - from the kitchen to the closet to my room to the living room. I've caught him walking around his room aimlessly searching (I think) for the bathroom in his closet and drawers. I've never had much difficulty re-directing him into the bathroom or back to bed. And he NEVER remembers it in the morning. Sometimes he will ask if and how many times he woke during the night, maybe recalling once that he used the bathroom, but never when I have to intervene. Most often he will ask what time he went out to sleep on the couch.

Tonight I'm sure will be no exception. I've learned over the years not to talk to him. He's asleep anyway, so there is no sense trying to communicate with someone asleep that will have no recollection. I keep it to a minimum in my guiding to where he needs to go. Tonight was an exception, for me. I went upstairs to get ready for bed and turned on the light in the dining room. He was on the couch - neck all kinked and using the smallest throw blanket possible. Granted he's a warm child at night, but this blanket barely covers 1/3 of him! Since he rustled with the light, I went to wake him to direct him back to bed. He was utterly confused.

He kept hitting his leg - of course I thought that meant it was asleep. Moments later when I realized it wasn't, I helped him to stand. He veered for couch number two, which I gently guided him into his room and to his bed. When he asked me the strangest thing..."Did I get them both? Do I get to keep the eggs?" At moments like those, they melt my heart and make it hard not to laugh. Poor son, he's still traumatized over his diligent search efforts for the hidden Easter eggs that resulted in one he just couldn't find. Hopefully I haven't scarred him for life! ;)

No comments: