Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Attractive VS. Personality

Attractiveness vs. Personality...which wins? If competence and intelligence isn't a factor - even playing field - which would you choose?

For me, it is personality 100%! If someone doesn't have personality or people skills they become even less attractive to me. I want something behind a pretty face, something that will make it worthwhile - a conversation, a connection, something.

Today, that belief was again confirmed for me. My son saw his new PCP today. He's is seldom sick and the last time he went to the doctor was about a year ago when he complained of knee problems. Of course at the appointment he proceeded to bend his knee every which way and then some and decided he was no longer injured! Love it! To my joy, the appointment wasn't all lost as apparently a new chicken pox (varicella) vaccine has come out, a second shot and then tetanus is recommended at 10! So he was a trouper and received two shots and his knee pain was healed. That was the first time he saw THAT doctor. Then we received a letter that he was leaving a practice.

Our choice of new PCP was a male or a female doctor. I tricked my son as I figured he would prefer a male doctor, but he didn't pick him before because of his last name. Seriously. My son is anti-anything having to do with that name! So he went with the male doctor. My girlfriend also said that she had him and said he was very attractive. Yeah, whatever, what do I care? So coincidentally I have my new "Amanda" do and I'm looking fine, or not so much...LOL

I'll have to say that the Dr. was attractive but his social skills were horrendous. He spent most of his time glued to their portable laptops. I would have thought he may have looked at the file BEFORE he walked into the room. Again, what do I know? I had to repeat everything at least 3 times and then repeatedly had to ask for the samples, lab order and about the follow up pulmonary function testing. Incompetence at it's best. And I forgot to mention that he didn't even bother to say hello or introduce himself to either my son or me. NICE. Hopefully he has good pediatric skills and isn't there by default - 'cause as it stands now, I hope that I never have to require serious medical attention from him for my son.

No comments: