Sunday, March 23, 2008

Empty Office

I managed to leave the office just after 2a.m. I love the empty office - although I turn on very few lights so I spend quite a bit of time navigating through the hallways in the dark. Fortunately the cubicle maze is pretty easy and there are lots of windows that the light sometimes filters in. It's amazing how much work I can get done without the distractions and interference of phones and co-workers. The quiet and solace allows me to be very productive.

Five hours of uninterrupted work. And I have at least that left. I just couldn't stay there any longer, I had had enough. I was told that nothing was "bleeding" in my office. I guess I interpreted that to mean that things have been taken care of in my absence. Well, not exactly. What disappointed me the most were a couple things that were left sitting for a couple weeks. The most touching was an Easter package of cards from a bio-grandmother to her grandchildren. I really like this woman and worked with these children 5 or 6 years ago. They have been adopted and I worked with the adoptive parents as well. I know their stance on open adoption and that the children will not see anything until they are 18, if then. But...that still makes me feel bad that I couldn't send the cards on before now, to keep my promise and do what I can for this grandmother. I see both sides of this situation, I really do - the adoptive family and the bio-family but in my hearts of hearts it's really what is in the best interest of the children. The others were two requests for relative homestudies in another state - which without mailing delays by the worker can take up to six months!

I can only do what I can do. I agreed to come in when I could to check on my vacant caseload on the weekends or nights that I was able. That was approved to be every weekend...which I said absolutely not. My boss definitely wants me back in the local, as it just seems to difficult to have people "cover" my workload. While that doesn't seem to be an option due to my current commute position, I do what I can which somehow just always seems to fall short of enough.

No comments: