Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Can Ex's Be Friends?

Ah...a question that never seems to have the right answer. Especially depending on who you ask will reap a different response. I have found that clearly any new BF has an issue with me having a relationship with an EX-BF. And personally, I'm not sure that becoming friends is possible. With time and with healing I would like to think that is. But clearly, if one person had different feelings than the other, especially in regard to the relationship and break up, friendship can be almost impossible.

My Ex-BF is a wonderful man. We met over 4 years ago, at a time when a relationship and men should have been the furthest from my mind and life! Our lives have definitely been different and we were an unlikely match in many ways. Timing. Timing that we met. Timing that we remained together. Timing that dissolved. I was going through a nasty divorce when I met the Ex-BF. I was honest from the beginning and the thought of marriage or more children, wasn't what I wanted or needed. It still isn't. He deserves that and he shouldn't settle for less. We were good companions and wonderful friends. The break-up was clearly a loss for both of us. We did break up once for 10 months, which I believe gives him hope that we again will reconcile - or that I will come to my senses! The reality is, maybe I should have long ago but fear kept me in the stable, known comfort. Fear of hurting him of hurting my son. I didn't break up to find Mr. Right or Mr. Wrong for that matter. I finally woke up and had the realization that it was time to start living what I felt. To stop thinking or talking about it, but to take action. While it may initially have been painful, I do feel that in the end it is best for all of us. While the Ex-BF may not think it, I do believe it is absolutely the best thing for him. He will find a truly wonderful woman to share his heart and soul with. I wish him nothing but happiness.

So if I know that I am emotionally somewhere that he is not, where does that leave the possibility of a friendship?

No comments: