Saturday, March 29, 2008

Legs & Pants

I would like to think that I have an athletic build. It makes me feel better, almost. I can't run for the life of me and I can't even blame that on two knee surgeries. Before my second knee surgery, I use to play co-ed and women's softball. My ex-husband use to make fun of the fact that I could hit the ball and then when he thought I should be on second I wasn't even at first! I never claimed to be fast. I can almost walk faster than I can run/jog. It's just not my thing. Maybe I'm big-boned, but I think I'm more big-muscled. That just seems or is it sounds better.

I have always been heavier than the majority of my friends. They all had/have petite body frames. The majority of men that I seem to date, I seem to weigh more then them also. Yeah, that's reassuring. I can say that I'm pretty strong, for a woman - or my light weight ex's weren't that strong. I have very large thighs but the adage that muscle weighs more than fat never seems to be too reassuring. A few of the guys that I have dated have even encouraged me to consider body building, saying I have the frame/build for it. Maybe that was their way of trying to tell me to get in shape the politically correct way ;)

Anyway, in past relationships I also feel like I wear the pants. This isn't a role that I prefer to take. Even though I suppose I may have a dominant and controlling personality. I do appreciate being taken care of, when I want or need to be. I prefer to put my head on someone else's shoulder and feel comforted and safe with them than vice versa. But today sealed the deal for me. Total confirmation of my role in life.

I'm not a huge shopper. I prefer to not shop. Sometimes it's just necessary. Of course today wasn't one of those days, but it was a day that I felt that it was time to try to get rid of all of the 1/2 used gift cards. Back to the Gap Outlet we went. I tried on probably 6 pairs of capris, shorts and jeans...women's. Then I tried on 2 pair of men's pants - one cargo and one jeans. And of course what fit me the best? The men's. Yep, guess that says it all. Who says if the shoe fits wear it? If the pants fit...

No comments: