Friday, March 28, 2008

Lying

I'm not big on lying. I can't say that I never lie, as I know that I do. I like to say that my lies are "white" lies or lies to not be harmful. I have to admit that when I do lie, I don't do it well.

Actually to a fault I would say I'm too honest. Not that I'm volunteering to go on Moment of Truth as regardless of the answers it's public humiliation to the family on national t.v. and besides polygraphs are not admissible in court for a reason. My luck my emotions would get the best of me and I would think every possible thing regardless of the question. I wonder if I could pass a simple question as I do have the tendency to over analyze. Anyway, I try not to be brutally honest, but well that's me. I would rather not answer then lie. I would think that food and appearance responses are probably the most difficult for people to answer. What do you think of my shirt, hair, new recipe, etc. Tough ones to answer since there isn't any good answer if the answer isn't favorable. Is the truth worth hurting someone? I think there are ways to be honest while trying to soften the blow.

I have to admit tonight I lied. And not a very good job of it! I completely forgot last night to swap out my son's tooth during the night that he put under his pillow. This morning he was brushing his teeth and I had that smack in the head realization. While he was in the kitchen, I went in his room and he had placed the baggie with the tooth on his dresser next to his bed. I took the tooth and put money under his pillow and the proceeded to finish getting ready to leave. End of story.

Until, he went to bed tonight. I went to tuck him in and he asked where his tooth was. He was becoming frantic thinking it had fallen to the floor behind the dresser. He asked if I took it. Trying NOT to laugh (obvious that I'm not telling the truth) I told him I didn't know where his tooth was. I proceeded to move things around on the dresser as if I was looking. He then had to move his animals and pillows on the bed at which time he found the money under the third pillow. He bust out laughing. Of course I couldn't ruin the fun of his search and TELL him honestly that I had his tooth and to look under his pillow, right?

So yes, I told a lie. When he had his money, I did tell him I had it and then he had to know how and when sneaky mom managed to do it! Do we as mothers have to tell all our secrets?

No comments: