Tuesday, March 18, 2008

English

I've mentioned it briefly, my inability to comprehend directions, even when written in English. Every day I am faced with language and communication barriers. The new program I am testing - is not very likely to work as the developers of the program are foreign. The users of the existing program (like me) are American and speaking about the programs is challenging as it's difficult for all parties to comprehend what is happening. If humans can't understand each other, how can two programs be able to communicate effectively?

Why is it that CSR's are seldom American? Why can't we as callers push a button for an American CSR rather than trying to explain our issues with our phone, internet, order to someone in India or Somalia?

The other day on my way to work I was listening to the DJ's discuss cursive writing. My son is in 5th grade and he knows some, but not much. I swear when I was his age - I was writing cursive on my late homework while walking to school in my bare feet in 4ft of snow, uphill both ways! ;) I still use cursive - although depending on how rushed I am, depends on the legibility. If I'm writing a note or a card, I spend more time to make it readable. I have to admit, even at times I struggle reading my own writing if I abbreviate or was again multi-tasking too much. Anyway, back to the DJ's - they were discussing the validity and purpose of cursive writing. Of the three on the radio, none of them frequently write - other than sign their name - or read cursive. They felt that cursive should be obsolete and that children should just be taught to type! Ok, because now notes to family and loved ones on the kitchen table are to be typed? Or maybe we should just text them on our cells, right? Yeah, don't get me on the texting thing! And I haven't bought my son a cell...yet. I was appalled! Maybe it shows that I AM OLD - no longer getting old...I AM OLD.

No comments: