Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Our Song"

Are you the type of person that in a relationship has to have "Our Song"? Does that also include having "our restaurant" or "vacation spot" "our position" "our movie" etc.? I've never been a person of any of that. I'd like to say that's due to my Realism Ways... :) Seriously, if relationships aren't forever, why should something forever be attached to someone else and forever ruin it when the relationship dissolves? Of course, I suppose if the relationship works, then so be it you have forever memories. I'm really not a pessimist. I just don't intentionally create moments or memories solely to only be shared with one person. Not that I haven't, since somethings are really better that way, but I would never not listen or go return to a location I enjoyed because of the memories I had with an EX. Life is too short for that.

BUT...I have, on three occasions that I recall - have ever had an "our song" with someone. Why I'm thinking about that at almost 1a.m. I don't have a clue. I didn't have a song with my recent Ex-BF. I did however have a song with someone that means a lot to me and although are lives are very different, he makes me smile. "Our Song" is KT Tunstall's Big Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. I LOVE that song. And EVERY time I hear it, I think of him. And at least 1/2 the time (ok, probably more) since it's usually in the car, I will call him and see how his world is and then crank up the music. It makes us laugh. Of course he thinks I was just calling to be nice, but there's always an alterior motive..."no, no, You're not the one for me!" :) Happy memories!

I can say my Ex-husband and I had a song. Probably only because it seemed like one was necessary for the first dance, etc. Actually it wasn't our first dance song and I can't honestly tell you what it was. My step-mom sang Savage Garden, "I Knew I Loved You" (or whatever the title is) during the wedding. I heard that song the other day on the way to work. I haven't heard it in a long-time. I wasn't repulsed by it and wasn't struck with the sudden urge to roll down the window and heave. I listened and even sang to it. For truly, a song can just be a song if you let it.

The third "our song" I had was with an Ex-BF I dated probably a decade ago. I couldn't tell you the name of the song, but when I hear it it reminds me of Liv Tyler...maybe it was the one she was in the video of, because why else would I think of her? It also brings back memories, memories a lifetime ago. It's interesting how songs, movies, books, friends, smells can bring back such strong emotions, feelings, reactions. But for me, nothing is as fun as "The Big Black Horse and the Cherry Tree!"

No comments: