Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Technologically Challenged

It is true...at times I feel as if I am completely and utterly technologically challenged. I would say that I am, but maybe that is a slight exaggeration since I truly do know many people that are! Maybe I just fail to embrace the world of gidgets and gadgets. Although at times, I do try.

For starters, I have a cell phone. I've had one for many years now and I know how to use it! Unlike my stepfather, we still haven't convinced him how to use his on a regular basis. He finds it too small, difficult to understand and completely ineffective. Give him an old car or radio - he's in heaven! I have all the "basics" of technology - no frills! I use a planner/calendar rather than a palm pilot or a blackberry. If I had to point either of them out, I wouldn't. I would look for the little black fruit and a miniature person who flies planes. I don't have an IPOD or MP3 player and I couldn't tell you how to use one. I considered getting one, but it just seemed to complicated and not something I would use. Now my son has an MP3 player, but I still don't understand it. I'm perfectly OK with the radio or even an occasional CD. I don't have a laptop computer, internet access on my phone - I did just upgrade to high speed internet because I couldn't stand how long it took to upload a photo! My parents gave me their digital camera last year - since I asked if I could have it to try it out. I quite like the surprise of film - the thrill and excitement of picking up your newly developed pictures from 6 months ago and wondering who and what it is that you are actually looking at! Digital just takes the fun out of that! ;) I had the camera for 6 months before I learned that I needed a memory card and batteries! I think I'm managing it OK - I can turn it on and take a picture that isn't blurry about...40% of the time. It just seems like things get more complicated in life, not less. And if by 2010 tv's need to be hi-def I guess I'm in trouble! Good thing I just purchased my first portable DVD player - hopefully it will still work by then!

I get overwhelmed by how thick manuals are to read anything. Oh and don't even get me started on assembly directions! By the time I decide I should read directional novels I learn that really only 10 pages, if that, are in English - none of which I understand anyway!

So now I have entered the world of blog. A new and terrifying environment, ok not so much, but don't look for more than basic. I managed to successfully post a blog. Kudos to me :) I think it was more an issue of taking the time to just do it and create a blog site. And a little encouragement from family and a fellow blogger/classmate/friend :) She just created a wonderful blog about me introducing me to blogging - yes, I became all emotional - and even had a link to my blog. Oh my...yeah, I'm sure I will be blogging for a decade before I learn that! She also sent me some links and told me how easy they were to add to my blog. She must seriously think I'm less technically challenged then I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Your post had me chuckling all the way through it. I'm not much better off than you are, although I do own both an MP3 player AND an ipod. Look at me go. If you need help just shoot me an email!!

Do I sense an addiciton forming? This is a lot of posts in a short time! :)