Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Trip Anxiety

It amazes me the bizarre things I do, which are out of the norm when trying to plan for a trip. This is by far the longest trip I have ever taken and to not have access frequent access to cell phone, answering machines at home and work seems very strange. I'm assuming that if necessary I'll have access to a computer if necessary.

This morning after taking my son to school I found myself vacuuming out my car with my shop vac. My much used birthday present of last year! Why at 8:15 in the slightly heavier than a drizzle rain, was I out cleaning my car? I hadn't cleaned it for several months, so why bother now? Of course in the event that something happens to me or my car is broken into, at least it's clean, right? This is so beyond nesting. Likewise, that went for the house too...which the basement suddenly needed a thorough vacuum as well as the kitchen and dining room floors. Hate for people to see dirt that was more than a few weeks old!

Packing isn't any different. I'm finding myself packing the most bizarre of things. Well of course they are things that I already OWN, but NEVER use. So why all of a sudden do I think that I'm going to use these on an international vacation, beats me. But I packed them! You never know, right? Like the umbrella that I purchased - I honestly haven't used an umbrella in YEARS. I can't recall the last time, I don't mind the wet rat look. Not that it is becoming, but it's just water. Besides, it's also a true test to the "waterproof mascara". Otherwise, it's my connection to the wild - wet rat and raccoon eyes! Clothes that I packed that I don't wear here, but in a foreign country where I will never see the people again - I'm all of a sudden going to wear them? Yeah, OK. The cosmetics that I may just need, that I haven't needed or used in years - those are in there too!

Maybe I'll find a great Goodwill-like store to donate half my suitcase belongings to, or a good dumpster so that I have room and weight allowances to purchase souvenirs and the items I REALLY need!

Until next time... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's one heck of a method to clean out your closet! If I had to wait for an international trip to get rid of all the stuff I never use I'd seriously be in touble.