Thursday, April 24, 2008

Betty Blog

I wish that I could say that the end of the blog will lead to some exciting climatic ending with Betty, unfortunately it doesn't. Throughout the rest of the trip, I did my best to avoid Betty. Although I never seemed to be more than a few feet from her. I'm not really sure how that worked out, since of the 44 people there were definitely some that I was never around. Maybe they made sure of that!

Without scrolling back through blog world, I'll recap Betty encounters, quickly. Seriously, quickly. After that first day of being accosted by her on the bus, I did my best to steer clear. I figured that if I ran into her somewhere alone, I may be tempted or she may be tempted to act on as she called it, "a good old fashioned cat fight". Mind you, I'm not really a fighter. But I think if push came to shove, I'd give it my all. In reality though, if Betty and I were alone and she lunged at me, all I would have had to do was sidestep and watch her fall flat on her face. She truly was that intoxicated most of the time. However, mornings she seemed more coherent and almost tried to converse with other tourists.

There was the day in the cafe/bar with the internet access. When I walked down the steps, there she was smoking and drinking. I kept walking, confrontation avoided. Also at the same hotel, she hung out in the lobby watching/gazing at the t.v. as we were all hanging out down there playing cards. Nothing was shared between the two of us. Of course I avoided her like the plague, which included not going into wait to pay for the optional excursions when she was in there, although she didn't want to wait, and she ended up paying last, right after me. Then there was the day where we stopped at a grocery store and stocked up on munchies and water. She of course was one of the last ones on the bus as she was smoking. I was one of the last as I was taking pictures of the Swiss alps. I offered to take a picture of the Malaysian couple, but then they realized they had the wrong memory card. As I turned to get on the bus, there was Betty...in my face. She kept saying "sorry". I only say sorry if I am apologizing or as a way of saying, "excuse me". Neither of which seemed like Betty's response. Not understanding, since clearly she acknowledged that I'm the stupidest person she's ever met, I asked what. She kept repeating sorry, so I walked away and got on the bus. At which point she yelled slurishly (my new word), "I'm not done talking to you yet." I raised my hand up, with my back turned her direction and got on the bus.

And that, was the last of my Betty encounters...until the end of the Farewell Dinner.

No comments: