Thursday, April 17, 2008

Saturday April 5, 2008 Amsterdam Area, Rhineland Germany

Breakfast was a wonderful array of fruit, Danish, cereals, meat/cheese assortment, as well as sausage, eggs, hash brown patties, etc. I sat at a table with Catherine and Tania and we talked about the Red Light District. “Betty” staggered into the breakfast room, got her breakfast and then wrapped it in napkins to go.

At 8:15a.m. we met out at the bus and headed out for the city tour of Amsterdam and the canal Cruise. This was the first morning of the hellacious seat rotation with the clockwise two seat move. Ultimately, the seat rotation would bring out the demons of the majority. Most preferred to stay in the front of the bus, since the rowdy, younger, fun crowd had initially migrated in the back of the bus. What the elderly failed to realize is that had the rotation been implemented, the bus would have been quieter overall breaking up the more outgoing. Not that any of us in the back of the bus were complaining per se, but photo opportunities were somewhat better in the front of the bus when you could actually see what was coming as the Tour Guide did nothing to let you know.

In the US when entering a new state, there are usually large welcoming signs, significant to each state. Usually within a few miles of entering a new state, there is a Welcome Center, not to be confused with a WC in Europe which was a “Wash Closet”. The first country we entered, the Tour Guide (TG) mentioned a sign (after the fact) with five stars; of course I didn’t see it.

I had a single seat on the bus the day before, as did Nick and “Betty”. There were new tour guests on the bus this morning that threw the seat rotation out of whack as well as leaving very few open seats for those, like me, entering the bus late. Knowing that I would likely have to share a seat and fearing the worst, I opted to save myself and Nick and sit next to him in the back row of the bus. At this point, I still hadn’t formally met Nick, and I think we were both OK with that. I left a seat in between us as he was next to the window and I was now in the aisle. When Betty got on the bus she looked at the one set of open seats, three up from the back row, looked at Nick and at me and then sat in the open seat. I could tell that she wanted more than anything to sit near her “friend” and the thought that I had encroached on her territory left her wounded, alone and jealous, but not enough that she would wedge herself in between us in the empty seat.

Most of the bus ride this morning I have been glared at by Betty with her mincing, dead pan saucer eyes. I could see the venom approaching and I did my best to ignore it. In the backseat with us were Catherine and Christy. Newcomers, Judy and Jimmy were two rows up from the back and a row behind on the other side from Betty. Judy and Jimmy kept to themselves and seemed bothered by the loud noise around them. Another couple destined for the front of the bus, or so it seemed.

The canal boat ride was a covered boat. I sat across from Glenn, who was quickly saying, “Here she is, Miss America”. Nice. In order to get decent pictures, you had to slide open the windows. As it was chilly and drizzling outside, Glenn wasn’t happy with the open windows and preferred them to be shut. Oh, sweet vacation. The local tour guide was much better than the TG and I found her to be quite entertaining. We then toured around Holland by bus, which was very similar to Holland, MI. We went through a diamond factory and I was able to get my son his much desired souvenir smashed penny coin.



After the tour, it was back to the bus, although no longer drama free. I became the target of Betty’s wrath. She nastily asked me through the seats where I was from. She said that she assumed I was from Canada because I was rude and obnoxious and she didn’t like me. She told me I was ruining her trip and that I needed to move to the front of the bus. Of course, most of her tirade was ensued in foul language. I had difficulty understanding her with her heavy slurring and accident and lack of enunciation. She proceeded to tell me I was the stupidest person she had ever met. Betty went on to tell me that I’m like the popular one and that I’m very persuasive. So persuasive that I don’t even have to say anything to others, they just follow. She made comments about my clothes and my hat, of course foul and nasty. She told me how nasty I was and how I preyed on the weak since she apparently overheard me at breakfast. I did my best to keep quiet, to not respond. I could feel my blood boiling and my social work training going out the window. I knew that to rationalize with her would be fruitless as she was clearly not right and likely completely intoxicated. I hoped that someone that I had befriended would jump to my aid, which didn’t happen. Most looked away or pretended to be sleeping. One was recording it. At no time did the TG notice anything that was happening. Finally after what seemed like a ½ hour, Cheryl from the middle of the bus went to get the TG.

By the time the TG came back all was quiet. I’m sure I was redder than a lobster. Jimmy proceeded to tell the TG that he didn’t know what had precipitated before, but that we/she mainly Betty was using foul language and it was inappropriate. The TG threatened that we would both be kicked off the tour if it persisted and then she went back to her perch seat in the front stairwell of the coach.

Needless to say, Betty didn’t stop. She proceeded to try to get my attention to see if we were OK. She thought that a good old nasty cat fight was good. Oh yeah, did I mention that she told me that was life was too short for me to be so mean? She proceeded to say it was only OK if I was dying of cancer. Was I dying of cancer? WHAT? Oh my. Betty also went on a tirade about Lord of the Flies. She then continued to ask again if we were Ok, which I said sure. I just wanted her to shut up and get out of my face. When I ignored her, she came into the aisle to get my attention since her calling out “Hat Lady” and “Hatter” wasn’t yielding a response.

From that point on I dubbed myself the "Mad Hatter" - either because I was angry mad or crazy mad, but nonetheless just mad! The hat of course was purchased for bad hair days and for rain - so as it turns out I wore it most of the trip. When I didn't have it on, people asked where it was. Infamous for my hat and being called Miss America, I suppose it could have been worse! To keep from further suspense - here I am, the "Mad Hatter". (And for anyone who may have read the prior hair blogs - can you see the Amanda Overmeyer highlight resmeblence? Yeah, me neither.)

Back to the trip...Finally, I couldn’t keep quiet. I told Betty what she had done the day before with her behavior, swearing, cussing about the TG, etc. I’m pretty sure I used a few expletives myself. Of course her response was that she didn’t know what I was talking about and didn’t remember yesterday. Jimmy then told her to sit down at which time she hollered at “Blue Shirt Man” and finally stumbled back into her seat. All the while, she kept glaring at me until the next stop. Of course, she accomplished what she wanted as I was so furious, I found it hard to enjoy myself with the others at that point and mainly kept my chatter and laughter to a low level, next to nothing.
At the next bathroom stop, Betty did not return. We were less than ½ hour from the hotel. The TG went to find her, returning saying that she had ordered a meal and didn’t know what to do about it. After an additional 15 minutes or so the TG assisted an almost limp Betty back onto the bus. Meanwhile, Tania – a vibrant, loud New Zealander from the front of the bus wanted badly to come to the back out of sheer boredom. I and others strongly urged her to sit in Betty’s seat and not move - hopefully forcing her up to the front of the bus. Tania, bless her soul, was willing to do so.

I had asked the TG to move Betty to the front of the bus to avoid further problems. I had no idea what level I would succumb to if Betty kept at me, and I didn’t want to find out. The TG sat her in the middle of the bus; however, within a few minutes of the drive, Betty staggered back to her initial seat. Betty was none to happy to see Tania in her seat and asked her why she was there and who told her to sit there. Tania wasn’t willing to move and Betty sat next to her. Betty proceeded to fill Tania in about how awful I was and how it was like “Lord of the Flies”. Finally, she passed out. Of course, TG was oblivious again of what was transpiring on the bus.

Upon arrival at the Zum Anker hotel in Germany, I learned that Tania and I were to be roommates. She was the single woman that I knew the least of. I liked her immediately. Something about her personality and contagious laugh, I no longer feared the prospect of sharing a room. Dinner was included with the tour tonight – fish and chips, overcooked salty canned vegetables and ice cream for dessert. Clearly not the German meal we were anticipating. The food left much to be desired. The information had advised that service would not be similar to the US, but that was a complete understatement. I’m pretty sure that Muriel and maybe a few others may have passed out in between dishes waiting for their food.

As the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, a group of us go out after dinner for a late night walk. It’s cold out and my gloves came in handy as I lent them out. It begins to snow, a first for many. We laugh and joke about my persuasive, popular personality and with my luck, I’m sure Betty was either in the bushes or a few steps away. We manage to finally get a group (nose) shot with all of us in it. Faces of the world - Australia, New Zealand, America and Taiwan. Ok, maybe not the world, but you get the point.

Tania and I stay up until the wee hours of the night chatting and laughing and do our best to finally get some sleep a few hours before the 6:30a.m. wake up call.

No comments: