Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday, April 13, 2008 Paris-Germany-Illinois-Home

The alarm was set for 5:55a.m. I had to be downstairs to meet the taxi just prior to 6:30a.m. My bags were packed, I kept my contacts in so I didn't have to waste any extra time. When I looked at the clock, holy !@#$ - it was 6:18a.m.! What happened? Of course my response woke Tania too!

I got dressed as quickly as possible, brushed my teeth and grabbed my stuff. The phone rang as I was getting ready to leave the room. Tania was coming with me since in my daze I couldn't remember if I needed the room key to take the elevator down too, besides, it allowed me one last walk down the hall with my fabulous roommate! The taxi driver was anything but personable. The taxi was a Mercedes mini van. The drive to the airport was pretty quick actually. I began to get somewhat emotional as I approached the airport...which quickly turned into anger that the TG had again F'd up! The bill, 49.30 euros. NICE. Fortunately I still had about 20 euros that I hadn't managed to spend. I tried to barter that it was only 40 but that didn't get me anywhere!

I was actually so early to the airport I could have taken the hour plus earlier flight. It didn't really matter to me which airport I sat in. I never even considered the idea of getting my e-ticket and a seat assignment the day before! The man at the counter was obviously in training, good thing I had hours...literally. Somehow it was determined that my final destination was Chicago, um...NO. Somehow, with lots of french between three people they all finally said OK. Whatever that meant, I guess. I was on my way through security, which by no means was as thorough as the US. Still not knowing which plane I was actually on, I looked at the ticket and realized I was on my original plane.

It was still two hours before the plane would leave. Seeing that it was so early the gate wasn't posted on the monitors. I went to the gate that the first plane was departing and I waited. I walked around the airport, I used the bathrooms and then I decided to just sit down and journal. And that is what I did. I journaled. Then I realized I needed to go to the bathroom again but had no clue what time it was. I looked at the monitor and it was 9:05, my plane was departing at 9:20a.m. and I was suppose to board at 8:55a.m. No people, no plane, how many more delays? Then it dawns on me! WHAT??? Where were the people? Where was the plane? Oh my, I've done it again - stupidity has once again taken over my body cloning me! I had totally forgotten that I never did find out what gate the plane was leaving from, obviously NOT the one I was at! Luckily, it was only three gates down, but seriously how moronic can I be?

The flight to Frankfurt was uneventful, about 50 minutes in duration. I froze the entire way as the a/c was on super-high and my perma chill was only exacerbated by my need to go the bathroom from guzzling 1liter of water before checking in at the airport! The Frankfurt airport is relatively small and not as modern as most. We were shuttled to the terminal and then meandering around was interesting. I stopped to use the bathroom and found myself more confused as a man was heading to the sink, then I saw his young daughter in tow. After getting through security and heading to my gate, I had to wait in a general area without chairs to get through another check point to actually sit in the gate area. All over the floor were masses of high school band students. One, Trevor, was loud and obnoxious and I hoped I wasn't sitting near him, especially since I was in the middle row.

The Teacher/Chaperone of the kids kept telling them to sit in their assigned seats until the plane took off and then to make trades with other students. My luck, Trevor was in the row right in front of me! I was in the second seat of five, fortunately two were empty and I moved to the middle. Didn't help much when I needed to go the bathroom, but gave the three of us space. Trevor switched seats, so the ride was pretty uneventful. I tried to watch a few movies and listened to music.

I have a four hour layover in Chicago. Plenty of time to check messages and make some phone calls. It will nice to be home where I don't have to put in a card key for electricity, don't have to pay for toilets, I don't have issues with the shower and I have my comfy bed and pillows! I'm almost home, almost.

I talk to my son on the phone and tell him I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night. His dad in the background tells our son that he is not with me, despite our trade for nights three plus weeks ago. NICE. At this point, I'm so sad and emotional, I just can't handle it. I tell my son goodbye and that I will see him Tuesday. Maybe I will show up to his practice on Monday, maybe not. Obviously, this must be for a reason too, right? It will allow me to get settled, get some sleep, unpack, etc.

The flight was completely overbooked. They were taking volunteers to give up their seats for a free RT continental US ticket, 1st class to MI same time tomorrow and a hotel in Chicago. Of course the 1st class, hour flight was useless, but seeing that I wasn't planning on working anyway and wasn't going to be getting my son, why not?

So I gave up my seat. At least that was my intention. I was told to sit and wait for my hotel information and rebooking. Then my name and two others were called. Baffled I looked at my new boarding pass, 18 seats back on the plane - for the same flight! What? Apparently the employee was so overwhelmed, she was shocked when I wasn't happy that I now had a seat on the plane. I told her that I had a seat on the plane, which she said no it was a reservation. What? Man, I seriously must be an idiot - I feel like my life these past two weeks has been full of WHAT's! Then she finally understands that I volunteered my seat that she still needs for another passenger, takes my boarding pass and tells me to sit again.

Finally, hotel voucher, $15.00 food vouchers, boarding pass for tomorrow and a RT ticket for another flight, I head to find the shuttle in O'hare for the second time this trip. I seem to be more successful this time and find where I grab the shuttle. This time I didn't pack any change of clothes - because I was homeward bound, what would I need?

The hotel was fine and other than blowing up my cell phone (prior post) it was pretty uneventful. The restaurant food was good and it was nice to have a big bed to crash into. Maybe this was another blessing in disguise as it allowed me to go to bed early since I wasn't distracted by the responsibilities of home ownership, parenthood, adulthood. Not yet.

No comments: