Sunday, April 27, 2008

Monday, April 14, 2008 Chicago-Home

The morning is rather uneventful, although the screaming baby twice throughout the early hours was obnoxious. Many of the hotel guests were out in the hall around 6a.m., likely awoken by the baby as well. I was almost tempted to call the front desk as I was beginning to get concerned about the baby. But I didn't.

I finally got out of bed. I shower to dress in the same clothes. Something just not quite right about that. I had quite a bit of clothes that I didn't wear during the trip - mainly because I had work-out clothes and other clothes to change into. I didn't realize that for the most part, we were on the bus the majority of time that changing clothes wasn't really necessary. I wouldn't say that I'm one for clothes, fashion or shopping, but I seemed to be one of few that didn't recycle my clothes. I can't say that I would do it differently for my next trip either. I was under the weight restrictions for my suitcase, so why not?

As I mentioned earlier, I also managed to leave all of my money, credit cards (but one), passport, license, etc. by the computer I used at the hotel last night. Fortunately, within minutes of returning to my room I decided to put my one credit card away. Whew, maybe there is hope for me yet - nah, I wouldn't have left it had there been hope!

Seeing that the hotel was in the middle of nowhere, I had no desire to take a taxi around Chicago or venture to do anything else. The thought of clean clothes was somewhat inviting, but the ordeals and issues I would likely find to get the clothes wasn't. I managed to get Sprint to send me a refurbished phone for free due to the inconvenience of the local repair store being an hour away! I left the hotel at noon and headed for the airport. My flight wasn't until 7:00p.m. and earlier flights were apparently booked. With my first class ticket in hand, I was able to bypass the longer economy and coach lines! There was a flight leaving at 1:30p.m. which I was able to get on a wait list for. The flight was actually delayed and I managed to get a middle exit row seat on the plane and we took off at about 2:30p.m.

Unfortunately for me, I had managed to consume my 8 Dramamine, finishing the last one the day before. But the 50 minute flight couldn't be that bad, right? Wrong! Even with the extra room, the middle seat made me feel claustrophobic. The plane was hitting never ending turbulence and my anxiety was increasing and I could feel the blood rushing to my head. This wasn't good. When are we going to descend? I can do this. I can make it. The plane finally landed. I couldn't get off the plane fast enough!

My luggage was behind the counter since it had arrived the night before. It was nice to not have to wait for it to be unloaded from the plane. It was nice to see the sun and see my car in the parking lot. Even nicer was the fact that I thought the two weeks of parking was $198 and it was only $96, bonus! Amazing how excited I was over saving money that I didn't even spend!

The drive home was uneventful and the house was still standing. I was in my house before 5p.m., less than 24 hours later than initially planned, better rested and with a RT airfare for my next adventure around the US.

2008: Year of Travel - It could very well be a GREAT YEAR.

To summarize to date since returning home, life has resumed as normal. I've emailed several people from the trip, talked to one on the phone and mailed (which I never mail anything!) three photo disks out to fellow travelers. My mailbox was void of the claim forms for the trip interruption - go figure. I finally got around to making another call to request the forms and made a semi-complaint which a letter in writing was suggested in addition to the request for the reimbursement of the 9.30 euros. I did finally receive the claim form last week, which I made time to finish and submit. In addition, I typed up a 2.5 page complaint letter to Cosmos about the tour. There were many things I left out, but I'm pretty sure it was rather thorough. I even spelled it out that I hope no one else had to endure a tour with TG or Bus driver ever again. Donald Trump, can I get a "YOU'RE FIRED"?

No comments: