Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday, April 12, 2008 Paris A.M. - Mid-P.M.

This morning, more than any morning, I just wanted to stay in bed. The thought of another tour, 2.5 hour tour at that, was exhausting in and of itself, let alone that I just wanted to sleep. However, the reality of the situation that this was my last day of my vacation and my last day to see Paris, I dragged my sorry butt out of bed and figured sleep, much sleep could come when I was back in the US of A.




Breakfast was pretty good, allbeit inhaled. The local tour guide was FABULOUS. Paris at 8:30a.m. on a Saturday morning is pretty desolate. All of the Parisians are either still in bed or away for the weekend. This made traveling the streets and sights quite pleasurable as you didn't have to worry about insane drivers, pedestrians and tourists. Paris has 2 million inhabitants that live in the city and 10 million that live outside the city. Stores do not open until 9:30a.m. The local guide was full of history as we drove around Paris seeing Notre Dame "Our Lady", Clichy Square, the Louvre (biggest Museum in the world!), Palace of Justice (where Marie Antoinette resided before being killed), the "New Bridge" (which is the oldest bridge in Paris), Military hospital and Napoleon's Burial Dome (he's actually buried in 7 tombs!), Arc de Triumph, and Joan of Arc.




We did go through Notre Dame, but it was so dark my pictures didn't turn out. We also walked around a little bit, but much of the tour was via bus. It is a beautiful day and the tour was well worth it! The tour ended at 11:00a.m. and since I opted against going to Versailles, we had until 5:30p.m. until we needed to be ready for Montmarte and the Farewell dinner.


Tania and I stopped at a cute little french cafe. The food was WONDERFUL and we split a monstrous baked cheesecake. Yummy, yummy. We walked around Paris for hours and took a ton of pictures. We opted to walk back to the hotel rather than meet up to take the bus or to take a taxi. Tania's feet didn't fare as well as mine, as her heels were both bleeding on the return back to the hotel!


We had about 1.5 hours of downtime back at the hotel. I showered, got ready and packed yet again. Tania rested.


Seeing that there are so many pictures of Paris, I'll post those sans blog next before I blog about our evening adventures.

No comments: