Monday, April 21, 2008

Friday, April 11, 2008 Lake Lucerne-Paris, France

Today is the longest travel day, 425 miles/680km. I'm eager to go this morning with freshly charged batteries, hopefully my camera will make it through the remainder of the trip. I brought the borrowed charger to breakfast to return, and managed to leave it on the table. Fortunately I remembered it while on the bus still in the hotel parking lot! I hate being irresponsible, especially when it is with other people's things!


Again, Nick and I were seated at the back of the bus. What a surprise! Beverly and Robert were heading down the aisle and said that they were moving to the back of the bus and giving up their seats. What sweathearts! I asked Nick if he wanted to sit at the front of the bus, he said we shouldn't bother as we would likely be kicked to the back regardless. I thought otherwise. Maybe I shouldn't have! I went to the front of the bus to wait for Nick to gather his belongings to sit at the window in the second seat. I chatted with Catherine and Christy while I waited. Catherine asked where I was going to sit and I pointed to the open seat. However, the (nasty) woman sitting across the aisle threw out her arm and said, "You can't sit there!" Robert and, and" so I finished with "Beverly?" she said "Yes, that is Robert and Beverly's seat!" I proceeded to tell her that Robert and Beverly were gracious enough to give up their seat to allow people at the back of the bus who had never been in the front, to sit in the front. Needless to say, I'm not sure who was more pissed at this point. She then responded, "Well you best behave!" Oh no she didn't.


See, in many ways I can be that passive-aggressive type. And that comment was enough to put me over the edge. I wanted to sit there and be loud and obnoxious and make that (expletive aka nasty) woman wish she had never said anything to me. I wanted to let her now exactly how much of a hell I was going to make this longest bus ride of the day! Of course, I bit the bullet and decided I needed to act my age and I didn't comment and I politely sat in my seat when Nick took his. Not that I didn't complain/rant to other guests about it, I was that furious. I suppose she judged me and her words made me judge her, and not unjustly as far as I'm concerned. Then to make sure I heard her, she told her husband (Papa Smurf/Santa look-a-like) that they had been moving seats and in two days, en route back to the ferry they would be at the back of the bus! WHATEVER! See again, there were at least 15 seats on each side of the bus and we were to rotate by 2 each day. I had NEVER seen them even in the middle of the bus and regardless, sitting in the second seat from the front was NOT going to put them in the back of the bus in two days. Basic math and commonsense, where would people be if they had it?


There were still others at the back that had never been to the front of the bus. Not that I wanted to sit at the front of the bus the entire trip, but the opportunity was welcome. Fairness, equality, respect...I talked with TG and mentioned others that still hadn't been to the front so she again assured enforcement of seating arrangements - I thought the bus should invert - move all those in the back forward and likewise. This is what was almost implemented the following day.



Excursion for the morning was a scenic boat cruise on Lake Lucerne. It seems like if it isn't a bus, it's a boat, but of course I was game! Only 26 went on the cruise. It was overcast again, but the rain held off and some of the pictures turned out pretty well! There was another Cosmos tour on the boat with us, but they were mainly doing Switzerland and France.























After the cruise, we again boarded the bus for our long travel. We will arrive in Paris between 7:00 - 7:30p.m. I will be attending the Cabaret show in Paris, which leaves about 8:10p.m. So won't leave us much time to get checked into the hotel, eat and be ready to go. We stop at a decent "truck stop" for lunch, which surprisingly was 3.5 hours away, despite the "law" that the driver must stop every 2.5 hours. Nick had researched the "law" and found absolutely nothing. Our next stop the women's bathrooms were being cleaned so we were told to use the men's. This was the second time, the first being in Pisa. I'm not really fond of walking by men at urinals!


The bus ride was rather uneventful. Even the people at the back of the bus weren't that excited. Despite having front view access to pictures, there weren't many things to take photos of - or maybe I was just photoed out! Even Nick found very little reason to pull out his camera. Survey's were handed out on the bus today and picked up. Conveniently, TG states she wasn't given the seals to keep them private from her eyes. Several people refused to return them to her stating they would mail them in. This was also when tip envelopes for the TG and Bus Driver were given out and TG stated it should be 2 euros each per day. The guide book suggested 3-4 based on service, so clearly TG must know that she doesn't deserve it. Despite bus driver not stopping for photo opps, we should tip him because he had to put our luggage in and out of the bus! TG never did collect my envelope - I think she realized she knew better, but maybe she collected others on the trip back to Calais which I wasn't on, I don't know. I do know I still have mine.




We arrive at Campanile Berthier Clichy after 7:00p.m. The elevator line is long, so we opt for the stairs. Not the smartest idea for me as I have on my heeled boots, hands are full of coat, water bottle and I'm lugging up my 45# suitcase. Had my coat not managed to get caught on every handrail, sending the water bottle sailing, I may have been OK. We had 25 minutes to change and run across the street for some nasty intense burger. We couldn't figure out what was intense about it!



Two other tour groups were suppose to ride on the same bus, so we headed over to pick up the first group. Kudos to the bus driver for maneuvering the huge coach around impossible places without hitting any cars! When we went to pick up the people their TG had sent them on already. We didn't have time to pick up the other group, so we didn't! At this point, I would have been OK to just have our money refunded and tour Paris, but we did make it as the show wasn't starting until 9:15p.m. The show was OK, I can say that I've been there, done that. I've seen a lot of wonderful professional summer theater as well as other professional theater, so I truly wasn't all that impressed. I'm also the type of person that doesn't get unnecessary nudity - I think it would have been better without the 1/2 dozen topless women wearing large angel wings. I couldn't imagine having that job and couldn't help but wonder who were considered higher ranking/better - the topless or the dressed! There was an amazing "Flying Frenchman" acrobat that was absolutely brilliant and fascinating. Him and the spoof of Celine Dion made it worthwhile. Otherwise, I did find myself having difficulty not closing my eyes for a little too long.


My camera's creation: French Art


After the Cabaret we were able to see Paris by night. How truly beautiful. Of course my camera wasn't going to get the Eiffel tower, but didn't mean I didn't try! Even two blocks away, I wasn't successful. We were able to see the lights, how awesome. TG threatened to leave Paul, James, Catherine and Tania behind as they weren't back at the bus. Fortunately I asked TG to wait and then saw the brothers running. Amazing how tolerant TG is of Betty's untimeliness but not others!
Paris is by far becoming my favorite city. Maybe since I had heard so much negativity about it, I had low expectations. It could also be that it hasn't rained and we have two full days to tour Paris by night, day, mid-day, evening. Tania and I stay up late talking, again. We start the morning with our included (optional) 2.5 hour bus tour. While the thought of spending more time on a bus isn't welcoming, the thought of not seeing highlights and hearing about the history would almost be a travesty.

No comments: