Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Adult Career Year

As if my mind doesn't meander a million miles away and back every few minutes, I found myself thinking this morning about careers. A few weeks ago someone told me that anyone can do any job. Sure, but do it well or right? Afraid not.

I've been at the same job for over a decade. I haven't really had that many different varieties of jobs throughout my lifetime and definitely nothing very exciting. So today I decided that I want to participate in a year of Adult Career. Maybe every month or so - give or take three weeks - I could have a new career. Of course this would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about parenting, finances or other responsibilities. With that aside, these are the careers I would entertain:

Taste Tester - The Good, The Tasty, The Nasty
Lab Rat - I hear they can make up to 50k a year - but what better than be a test subject and doing exactly what you are told to do, make an impact for a good cause and get paid for it (Oh wait, I do that now)
Secret Shopper and/or Critic - Love to get paid to shop (even though I HATE it! as well as get paid for all the poor service I receive!)
Tour Guide/Flight Attendant/World Traveler - despite having motion sickness, I think the opportunity of traveling the world and sharing with others would be awesome.
Designer - I would prefer to do budget remodels, but if spending someone else's money, why not?


My list of careers that I wouldn't want, far surpasses any that I would want! Maybe that's why I haven't ventured out into trying new things - besides the financial, single parent reasons:
Architect, Builder, Engineer, Designer - Structurally sound, highly doubt it
Accountant/Financial Advisor - While I love numbers and would love to better my own finances/portfolio, wouldn't be something I would want as a career
Waste/Yard Management
CEO
Musician
Homemaker
Massage Therapist
Doctor/Nurse/Medical/Veterinarian - no blood, guts, needles
Driver ~ Limo, Truck, etc. - I could never drive for a living, just couldn't do it

There are a lot of other things that I would consider doing and be open to trying. I remember Career Day in High School, it is memorable by the title, but I can't honestly recall anyone or anything of interest about that day.

Maybe knowing what you don't want is more then half the battle. If only I could figure out what I do want. And how do I know that's what I really want unless I test it out first. Somehow I just don't think that volunteering or interning is going to give me the insight into my real career because I feel like the past decade has been a job. Maybe one day I will wake up and just know, wishful thinking.

No comments: