Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 Florence



This morning was extremely rough. I'm much more tired then usual this morning and am thankful that we don't have to pack up our luggage. In regard to this hotel, the bathroom toilet flushing sounds like a jet plane. We were advised to not drink the tap water, even to brush our teeth - but we survived. The hair dryer continues to look like a mounted hand held vac. The alarm doesn't go off as Tania accidentally sets it for p.m. The extra 15 minutes before the wake-up call is crucial to our showers, so we are both dazed and confused when we receive the call. Tania showers first and I jump in the shower at 7:20. We make it to breakfast just after 7:45 and are on the bus at 8:00a.m. Betty is refilling her coffee as the breakfast room clears out. At 8:20 we leave without her for Florence.



We have a tour of a leather store. Then we have an included walking tour and use the Whisper hearing device; however, this doesn't assist me in understanding the accent! We see the Piazza Santa Croce, Piazza Signoria, Palazzo Becchio, Loggia dei Lanzi, Piazza del Duomo, and the East Door of the Baptistry "Gate to Paradise". I'm sure I have pictures of them all, but remembering what is what is useless. After the tour, a group of us find a self-service lunch. We are charged extra to sit down to eat. I order a personal 4-staggio pizza which was much better than yesterday's having four toppings - mushrooms, artichoke, proscuttio and black olives.















I participate in the excursion to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower and other Pisan highlights. We take a choo-choo from the bus lot to Pisa. We have fun trying to capture various poses with the tower. Today was an emotional day for me. I talk with Jimmy on the bus from Pisa and we start talking about my son. I recollect our final goodbye and get all emotional.


Tonight we have to pay for our optional excursions. This takes hours as the TG is completely unorganized and incompetent. While we wait in the lobby, we play "golf" and quickly people learn and come in and out of the game. It's a good time. Some of the local's seem enthralled by watching us/me that it begins to make me uncomfortable. Betty is drinking and hanging out on the other couches in front of the t.v. Never seems to fail, everytime I turn around she's there. I must be getting a complex because I feel like she's always around me waiting for me to talk about her or to corner me alone to finish our cat fight.

No comments: