Sunday, April 27, 2008

Is Little League Over Yet?

Today was opening day. The sun was out and it was cold as could be, minus any snow. That's coming in a few days ~ did I mention I love Michigan weather?

We arrive an hour early for pictures. After my son has his individual picture taken, the coach mentions that my son can't wear his white under armour shirt if he is to pitch. He either has to remove it or hike it up higher than his elbow on his pitching arm. NICE. It feels like it's almost freezing, I'm sure the windshield is fast approaching below zero, and now he has to either take off his shirt under his jersey or push it up. When did this rule happen? Apparently, 20 minutes ago. NICE. My son decides he doesn't want me to go home to get another shirt for him, but I do anyway.

I miss the group photo and my son seems pleased with a matching turtleneck that I picked out for him. Mind you, he hates turtlenecks too! My son was cold most of the game despite his two shirts and jersey. With the new pitching rules, he was only going to pitch 40 pitches, regardless.

The game...was a bloody massacre. Seriously...a massacre of gore and guts. Seriously, after 78 pitches they only had 4 outs! My son pitched very well, but the other more experienced team (7 returning players to our 2) wailed the ball all around the field. The outfielders were playing four steps out from the grass (I guess they thought this was still t-ball) and seldom payed attention. I thought that at 11-12 this would be different, not on our team! There were too many errors for me to count. I've always told my son that if you can't strike them out, let them hit it and entrust that your team will be there. Outside of the one batter he hit twice, he didn't walk anyone. But he gave up 9 runs and only had two outs when he was pulled. Sad, Sad, Sad. Needless to say, the other three pitchers didn't do any better. As we were home team, the other team ended the third inning with two outs and the score was 0-21. We had our last bats, rally time. Obviously, our kids hadn't made it through the order twice, yet.

The first batter managed to get a very nice hit. My son then hit a rocket, or not, to the fence, I mean pitcher. The pitcher didn't realize that first was open and looked at 2nd base and then threw a wild throw to 1st. My son didn't stop running and finally ended up at 3rd. We had scored a run! My son stole home, making it 2-21. We could come back, pigs can fly! Despite the two runs, the pitcher managed to strike out three of our team, thus ending the game.

Rain games will not be made up this year due to scheduling constraints. I may just be doing the rain dance a lot this spring/Summer. I don't think this 13 game season can end soon enough.

No comments: