Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thursday, April 10, 2008 Florence Area - Lake Lucerne, Switzerland

Today we will be on the bus for 353 miles. The weather is overcast and foggy, a great day for a bus ride. Especially since my temperamental camera doesn't like cloudy and overcast or the bus, it's a perfect combination to not take pictures. The seating arrangement again gets people's panties in a bunch. Nick and I are sitting in the same seats by default. Maybe if one of us actually got on the bus earlier we would have a choice of seats, but isn't really all that serious for us either. The ride is relatively quiet as James, Paul, Catherine and Christy have managed to move to the front of the bus by rotation. Betty is in the back row of the bus today, but like most, she's sleeping so no drama pursues.

We will cross the Lombardy Plains to Canton Tierno's subtropical resort of Lugano. We will then merge on the German side of Switzerland and descend into Lake Lucerne - at least that's what our travel book says! Switzerland hasn't converted to the Euro, they continue to use the Swiss Franc; however, Euros and US dollars are accepted. We are advised to spend Euros in small amounts as they will give change back in Francs although this wasn't the case anywhere that we went.


Our first stop of the day at 10:00a.m., yields the most beautiful bathrooms that I have ever seen. Walls of rolling meadows, and stalls with a single stem flower of different colors adorned every wall of the stall. Most of us were completely in awe, we took pictures. The pictures clearly didn't do it justice. It almost made it worth the cost, almost. The next stop for the driver to smoke, I didn't even bother to get off the bus. Fortunately this time I wasn't kicked off the bus as Guiseppe didn't need to lock it.




Lugano was a beautiful town with a picturesque lake, mountains and town. We had 1.5 hours to eat lunch and walk around the town. Of course it was drizzling again, but Tania and I made the most of our time seeing as much as we could see. Hoping for a quick lunch, we almost ended up at McDonald's but grabbed a panini sandwich at a quaint shop next door. It was pretty good although it had egg on it which was rather different. Tania and I managed to order the same thing, despite us both randomly selecting something. I was hoping to acquire some Swiss Francs as souvenirs from my euros but I received euros back in change. We did go into McD's as I wanted to take a picture for my son. The menu picture didn't turn out and I was yelled at in German, I assume, for taking a picture. McDonald's seemed to be the lunch of choice for most from the tour.

Back on the bus we headed for Lake Lucerne, Switzerland. There were many tunnels as we drove through the Swiss Alps. The TG noted the 17km tunnel as if it were a big attraction. Taking pictures was amusing as most of us managed to capture that not so perfect shot in the tunnel by accident! When we emerged from the tunnel, the rain had stopped, the sun was out and serenity prevailed. How absolutely breathtaking! Of course pleads to pull over for pictures again went un-noticed. Our time schedule didn't allow for a few minutes as we had to get to Lake Lucerne...to shop!




In Lucerne, the view of the Alps wasn't very good. They were behind the town and not visible. My camera batteries finally died and I couldn't trick it into turning on for a few more pictures. Fortunately, I didn't miss much. We stopped to buy some chocolate at a chocolate shop and I was able to pay US money and asked for francs back in change.

Glenn and Muriel are beginning to get very restless. My water bottle had rolled on the floor, as Glenn stayed on the bus as it was only a 45 minute stop and walking was becoming ever more difficult. I heard about the bottle of water for 5 minutes! He and Muriel are consistently bickering as they are a seat apart now. They are snapping and rude. I would imagine this will be their last trip together as "travel companions". Muriel tries to kill us with her nasty gas again, she really should avoid eating eggs.


We arrive at Mothotel Pilatusblick, Eichoff hotel. Nick comments on the seediness. Inside the hotel is warm and inviting. The included dinner was by far the best that we have had. The beer that Tania and I share is actually pretty decent as well. Again we have an end room and no balcony. The bathroom sink has a drain handle underneath it; however, I pull it and it empties onto my feet! Tania also managed to have shower issues and soaked herself and the bathroom!





Tonight the optional excursion was the Swiss Folklore. Only 18 of 44 attended, I wasn't one of them. I'm not into yodeling and I figured some leisure time would be much needed. Paul, James, Catherine, Tania and I walked around Lucerne and entertained ourselves with crazy pictures! We saw the biggest snail I have ever seen - unfortunately the picture is quite blurry! I also met a very attractive, quiet Swiss Man tonight too!

Paul was able to fit into the bike rack, a large slinky - truly amazing. The brothers danced in the dry fountain imitating the young girls playing. Seeing that I didn't have my digital camera, I used my regular camera. Back in the hotel den area we gathered and hung out. People returned from the Folklore giddy and had a good time. I can't say that I yearned that I had gone. Several tried on my z-coils, although it appears that they are only sold in the US. I thought that the owner I purchased them from had told me he has dealers in Switzerland. Maybe I assumed he meant for shoes! LOL
It's an early night. I manage to repack. I haven't had to wear anything twice, other than my jeans that I have thrown on during chilly night walks. I definitely have more clothes then I will wear. Tania on the other hand has two pairs of pants drying on the heaters, one from the shower incident tonight, and has done laundry previously. As I'm not a huge fan of laundry, the extra clothes and weight are well worth it in my book!

No comments: