Saturday, April 26, 2008

Misc: Sales, Marmons, Friends, Bruises, Bugs

It's been a couple days since I last blogged. I've managed to not do anything too bizarre. A couple things that I find worthy of mentioning:

I learned that I am NOT a salesperson. While I have always known that if there is something I like, I will tell everyone and maybe my uncovered "persuasion" would sell it - but never for personal gain. Only because I found something useful or worthy worth sharing. The other night I took my friend's husband over to my other friends house to look at a kitchen table for sale. Talk about two passive men that couldn't seal the deal. I'm all about hand-holding, but seriously I did my best to stay out of the middle, making me more in the middle! In the end, an hour or two later, it was a done deal.


Best non-comedic joke: My mom and stepfather belong to a marmon muster club, http://www.marmonclub.com/ The Marmon was a car that was built in Indianapolis from 1903-1933. There were 250,000 cars built and only 350 exist today. Every year they try to attend the annual event where members gather with their cars and spend a few days touring/driving around cities with their automobiles. Every year they have an era dinner where my mom searches high and low to find the best clothing to purchase for the event.
My mom asked me, "Did I tell you I bought a nightgown duster?" I respond, "No. what's wrong with your washing machine?"
Mind you, my mom is always just a little off when it comes to terminology and people. Sometimes I can decipher. This clearly wasn't one of those times. Apparently a "nightgown duster" in my mom's world is some fashionable trend of clothing. So I searched it and of course couldn't come up with a "nightgown duster" but if you put together a duster (see above and not to be confused with the Duster car that I once owned in college) and nightgown, that would be what I now know is a nightgown duster.
AH and I recently got back in touch in the fall. She was the one that called me last weekend. She just joined Classmates and emailed me, although she has my phone number and email! Anyway, she was eager to say she had just joined. Although I was trying to get her to join our high school class Myspace page! Apparently she found someone she once had a crush on. I emailed her back and said hopefully they can connect and he will help her build her deck so that she no longer has an excuse not to meet me for dinner - after 15 years! Something about getting in touch with old friends - seriously can't compare to meeting new friends! Maybe it's just that they seem to get my sense of humor, yeah, that's it!
People make me laugh. It amazes me how so many people think things, but refuse to say them. I'm often astounded when I'm out either on a date or with friends and they won't mention the big chunk of spinach in my teeth or that my zipper is down or that I have a shirt tag out of my shirt! Those are things that I want someone to point out to me. I'd rather fix the situation then to walk around all day not knowing. So that leads me to my bruise. Seriously in the line of social work, I was surprised that no one inquired about it or wondered if I was in a DV relationship.
Maybe that's because I have to be in a relationship for DV! Anyway, not a single person mentioned it. But when I mentioned it, several had comments, which of course made me laugh: a) I thought it was pen. b) It looks like a birthmark (a newly acquired one?) c) I thought it was a patch of hair (Seriously, I just grew a 1/2 dollar size chunk of hair on half of my chin????) The comment that made me laugh the most was when I told JC I had fallen off my bike and he asked, "You're stationary bike???" Gotta love it!
Michigan Springtime can be nice. Seriously, it can be. When the snow finally ends (forecasting more this weekend!) and the flowers are in bloom. I do really like Michigan weather, for the most part. I enjoy four seasons! What I hate most about Spring - Construction and Ants!
I am NOT a bug person. I think for me, ants are the worst. Growing up we had a dog, and I hated having fleas in the house. Sitting on the couch watching t.v. and then a flea would jump on me. Creeped me out! And those nasty flea bombs. I don't have a dog, so I don't have to worry about fleas. Lice is another thing that creeps me out. Having long hair, the mention of lice, makes my skin crawl and my head itch. I tried not to think of this too much when I did home calls and the kids I held and played with had lice. I tried to think I was invincible of lice, and fortunately I WAS. I don't make home calls anymore so this isn't an issue either. But ANTS, this is an issue for me every year. I HATE THEM! I freak out when I see an ant. I spray and kill and spray. I don't mind cleaning out my cupboards for spring cleaning and throwing out food that it either expired or was on sale that I will NEVER eat. But one year, can it not be because of ANTS?

No comments: