Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fuse Box F Up

Seriously, I have issues. Anything that I think should be easy...isn't. It didn't ever seem to be like this. I could do something and no problems. My memory seems to be fading and fast. Short-term events seem to blur and as for long-term, what's that? I use to remember everything. I don't know when things changed exactly. I can't remember! I use to remember every child and family that I worked with. I think after about 8 years, I couldn't remember. One day, I just didn't even recall a case that someone had inquired. Maybe I set my standards too high.

I know for a fact that I don't remember books or movies. That's a given for me. It is similar to people that hear but don't listen, in one ear and out the other. I have enough "stuff" in my brain/mind that I don't need to store movies or books. I could watch a movie a dozen times and I probably still couldn't manage to recite a line from a movie. I'm really that bad.

So tonight was just going to be a night of catching up on the travel blogs. I started one several hours ago. I was situated in front of the computer, had just gotten off the phone, hooked up the t.v. shows on the t.v. to watch from the past two weeks, turned on my "new" electric fireplace and turned up the heat...all was good...until...click.

Out went the t.v., out went the fireplace. I don't recall ever blowing a fuse in this house. Clearly I didn't have the fireplace until this fall when I finished the basement. Many of the lights on the way to the fuse box were also out, but not all. Simple enough, or so I thought. I couldn't see the writing on the fuse box panel but finding a flashlight would be fruitless besides I know that the ex-BF and his dad didn't update it when they added another circuit breaker anyway. So, I left it to my best guess. Have I ever mentioned that I'm not a good gambler or test taker? Maybe I over analyze the situation and then self doubt settles in. I wish I could say tonight was different, but that would be crazy! I looked at my options and then I switched one over that said "lights" and I didn't hear the fireplace come on. I then looked at one that wasn't on - duh! Of course I heard the switch click, so I should have thought better, but I thought maybe it was off for a reason. I flipped that one on and hooray power was restored. End of story...OR NOT.

Sigh...Sometimes I really wonder what planet I came from. How can I have made it through life for this long and at times be so completely oblivious? The circuit breaker that I switched on and off of course was the one that my computer was hooked up to. Nice. What is it with me and technology? I know that I want to buy a laptop, but a new computer too? I turn the computer back on, nothing. I unplug everything and try again...nothing. Well maybe not exactly nothing, I see the windows start-up then a black screen. I unplug everything and plug the computer into another outlet on a different circuit, same thing. I finally unplug everything and decide to give my undivided attention to old episodes of Oprah's Big Give and the finale of The Newlyweds. Seriously, I can't do any damage watching t.v., right? After several hours I return to the computer and rehook everything up. I turn on the computer and same thing. I repeatedly try the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see that I have some issue with USBD connection and I need to contact Dell. A few stupidity thoughts to myself intermingled with some help prayers and somehow it boots up! Of course it takes about 1/2 hour to pull up the internet ~ since I was a little over zealous and impatient and I opened the internet explorer 5 times, messenger, SBC yahoo help...but it looks like all is well!

Another lesson learned...

No comments: