Monday, April 14, 2008

Money

Money, where does one begin with the discussion of money? I use to think that I was quite frugal. I've always been one to save, more then spend. One would have thought that I was born during the depression. I rationalize almost everything that I purchase and almost always buy when things are on sale. I am known to use coupons, but I don't consider myself over the top. I'm not one to consider washing clothes by hand, burning candles instead of electricity, obsoleting my car for bike usage, buying things in bulk and storing them under my beds if I run out of shelving. I am one to usually find a good deal. I've managed my finances pretty well - although times have been tough where I've been in the "red" as they say.

In reading columns on "women in red" I don't find myself even remotely interested in using any of their methods, although some of them I probably already incorporate. Smart and common sense. My divorce was financially difficult and then improvements to my house, car payment, etc. I managed to put everything on to one credit card at 2.99% - my car, my newly purchased vacation time share, remodeling, etc. and a personal loan. I pay everything else off every month. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I really can. It wasn't until I met the ex-BF that I realized maybe I wasn't such a penny pincher.

Now, after my vacation, I have a new outlook on money. Maybe it isn't a good one, but new nonetheless! See, everything in Europe was so expensive compared to the US, because the value of the dollar is horrible. What I can buy in the US cost almost 4x as much there with higher prices and the currency conversion. I seriously think that some of the meals I had, which were smaller portions and not very good, were almost $50 what I could have had at Denny's for $10, seriously no joke. So now, I won't look twice at ordering something for $25 dollars or whatever. If I want it, I'm going to get it! Besides, like a "dear friend Betty" taught me on my trip in Europe "Life is too short. Unless you're dying of cancer!"

While I have neither been diagnosed with nor am I dying of cancer - "Betty" taught me an invaluable lesson and for that I thank her. Life is too short to not enjoy it. Life can be taken so very quickly. Last week a great uncle and a former client of mine were buried. My client was close to 40 and when I heard that she was ill and had weeks to live, she passed less than a week later. She has two children, 9 and 8. How quickly life can be taken away...with that, I do plan to enjoy my life and spend some money! I don't plan on getting into financial difficulties but I do see more travel on the horizon, purchasing a lap top and some other things as well!

No comments: