Sunday, April 20, 2008

Memories

Memories are a wonderful thing. I hope that I am never diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Fortunately, this is one disease that I am not aware of in the family genes (knock, knock). While my memories become more blurry (aka faded) over the years, somewhere in the remote blankness of the mind, they are there. I know it and I have to believe it. Sometimes it just takes something to trigger them!

Last night when my friends came over, of course the OCD kicked in high gear. For that I thank my mother. My intense to desire to make sangria, despite having only hours not overnight like many of the recipes called for! Also, despite that my friends would likely be bringing their own beverages, didn't do anything to curb my desire to attempt to make it! My mom was always big on making sure the house was clean and there was a "spread" when her friends came over. As if I had all the time in the world, I did manage to clean the house, shop, make a fruit & veggie tray, cheese & salsa dip, dessert and some crazy concoction of sangria with lemons, limes, red oranges, strawberries and mangos. I can say it looked pretty, "A" for presentation ;) I would likely try something a little different the next time - maybe even plan it a little better but it was a success nonetheless.

Getting together with old friends is a stitch. Especially when it involves some mild drinking and late into the night, since you never know how comical and amusing things can be. For the past four years we have been getting together for games. My friend Pat is a stitch, and I probably have a few too many laughs at his expense. He's not really into "games" and we have to convince him most of the time to play something other than Euchre. If we start with a board game first it's best for him as his attention span, alertness and sobriety are at it's best! Needless to say, he isn't the best at games either, so whether it's "couples" or guys against girls, opting to be his partner isn't usually first dibs. Last night he wanted to play Euchre first, which was a bad idea when we switched to Cranium Pop 5 afterward. He and his wife were partners, and it was hysterical. He tried to act out "Smokey Bear", he didn't even have to do "the". Of course he didn't consider smoking, he tried to get his wife to say bear by raising his arms high over his head - all the while she's yelling out Godzilla, Frankenstein! He didn't hear the end of that one, even as they were leaving the house! Not that I haven't had my classic gaming moments over the years either. We love to bring up the drawing clue of "Eskimo Pie" that I had to get my partner to say. It was as equally frustrating as it was hysterical that I couldn't get him past "Igloo Pie", regardless of the Eskimo standing next to the Igloo! Nothing like some good fun!

Today I received a wonderful call from a high school friend. I called her last fall as a mutual friend had her phone number. We haven't managed to connect and I've been thinking of her and just haven't called her. I'm one of those people that always fear that I'll call someone at the wrong time, and I recalled that she had an odd schedule and went to bed early, but I wasn't sure what hours she worked. She called me today and we had a wonderful conversation. It's so fun to reminisce about way back when. Ultimately, when I reconnect with people they seem to say that I haven't changed! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, it just is. Regardless, I'm usually mildly entertaining! We laughed about memories of sports, people, parties and prom. She still vividly recalled, and we laughed again, about my wipe out on the dance floor of prom when chaperones questioned her as well as myself if I was under the influence. Clearly, I don't need alcohol or drugs to make a fool of myself. Maybe it was the few minutes I remained on the floor laughing rather than slowly getting up and shirking elsewhere like it didn't just happen. We hope to get together soon in person and I vowed that this time I wouldn't jump on her back and have her carry me around!

Memories, whether new or old are truly a wonderful thing. I can even say that sad and painful memories have a purpose as well, and without them, our lives truly wouldn't be the same, nor would we be who we are without them.

No comments: