Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Biking Issues

Sometimes I really wonder how I've made it through life this long. My face clearly gives a new meaning to double chin. With each passing minute, the pain and swelling intensifies, I'm not sure which at it's peak is/was worse - the all over body pain or the humility of wiping out in front of another adult and his young daughter.

So here's the recap...beautiful day, pump up the tires and off my son and I head on a bike ride. I even grab my sun glasses, which I take off mid-ride and hang from my shirt since the sun is beginning to set. Getting the picture? My son decided he wanted to go 8 miles, not the route of 6.5...on the home stretch back to the house we are nearing 10.5 miles. All is well, until I turn up the slight incline of my driveway.

I would love to explain what happened, but I can't. Next thing, in a split second, my wheels fly out to the side and down I fall to the ground. Mind you, this wasn't just any fall...this was a slam to the concrete driveway - both hands down, chin slams into the driveway and lip is close behind. Super. Classic. Epitome of me. I shouldn't have expected anything less. Where was someone to put it on Myspace or YouTube when you needed it most? Fortunately, nothing is broken and just a few minor surface cuts. I still have all my teeth. Life is good. I did manage to scratch up my sunglasses pretty well - might as well have, since I have almost reached my quota to lose or break them anyway. Both hands are swelling quickly as are my right thigh, my chin and my lip.

Too bad it wasn't a more interesting story...like Betty found me and beat me up. I wish I could say that I left a mark on the concrete, but I can't. The man AND his daughter, along with my son were all asking if I was ok. Bruised ego and bruised body...but OK.

No comments: