Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday Movie Muse

I really think that I should give up blogging about movies. Lately it seems like a chore to try to stay awake beyond the first 20 minutes of any movie. Movies that I hear are good, haven't held my interest. Others that are dumb, I find mildly entertaining. Maybe I'm beginning to actually enjoy the slapstick dumb humor, but I have not and will not succumb to watching another Harold and Kumar movie. It seems like the rental movies are slim pickings and I know that it isn't because I've seen them all. Finding a good PG or PG13 movie is getting almost impossible. Anyway - here's the week in review:

Charlie Wilson's War: I tried, really tried to get through this one. I just couldn't do it, despite really liking Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks. But don't not rent it on my account, because clearly it got the best ratings on Blockbuster.com then any movie I saw this week.

Lars and the Real Girl: Now this movie made me laugh and by the end it almost pulled on my heart strings. Maybe it's pulling out the reality of disillusionment or maybe, I just liked it in that weird and bizarre kind of way. Not saying that I would recommend it, but...

Juno: It was OK. I think I saw too many previews and heard too much about it to really find it that intriguing or interesting. Maybe I just really wasn't able to relate to it on many levels, it just seemed like it was lacking. Again not to say that many others didn't like it. (Hence this is why I'm beginning to think that this blog has absolutely no merit or value whatsoever - because clearly the critics loved it!)

Moving McAllister: This was a third walk around Blockbuster pick. Had never heard of it, but little to choose from to watch with my son. And, I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it's the underdogs I prefer best. Not that I would race out and buy it, but it made me laugh and scream and almost cry. Needless to say the plot was extremely far-fetched but the brief comedic moments actually kept me entertained and more importantly, awake.

Awake: Seriously, this was by far one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It actually made me think that maybe there is hope yet for my movie rental abilities. Jessica Alba did a wonderful job. I was pretty creeped out through most of the movie - as it is mainly done from an operating room and blood and needles really isn't my thing. So my nails were in my mouth much of the movie as I sat perched on the edge of the couch. I would definitely recommend this movie.

No comments: