Monday, April 14, 2008

Thursday, April 3, 2008 London

I did manage to get about 2 hours total of napping on the plane and am rearing to go! Ok, maybe not rearing! (As James would say, "vroom, vroom") Getting through customs and security went fine. I searched for my Cosmos representative to no avail. I walked the airport a few times, stood near the information line but didn't really know what to ask for then walked around again. The Cosmos rep I had talked to on the phone yesterday morning had told me that if no one was there to transfer me to the hotel to take a taxi to the hotel and save the receipt to submit with the claim. Seeing that I didn't convert any money yet, I was hoping that I was met by staff.

Running out of ideas, I went back to where I exited customs and looked again at all the signs when I saw across the way a lady dressed in a red jacket, red skirt and a red beret like hat. She seriously looked like the Nanny 911 lady in red! She had a Cosmos sign! She said that she had been there for 15 minutes - no way! Anyway after a short wait, I was on the shuttle and enroute to the Thistle Euston. I had a horrible migraine that the Excedrin migraine wasn't curing. I arrived in time to grab some breakfast, although I wasn't hungry. I grabbed some odd things - grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, hash brown patty and a sausage, nothing that really hit the spot.

Up in my room, which was a single that I didn't have to share, I quickly settled in, trying not to trip over my boots and suitcase too many times! I napped for several hours and then woke to get motivated to check out London. I missed the included tour which took place the day before. Nothing was scheduled today - so I was on my own. I talked with the girl at the Cosmos desk and seeing that I wasn't interested in shopping she suggested I head to Euston station to exchange some money and to get a bus pass and gave me a bus and walking route of the sites. With z-coils on, I was off. She had advised that I only change $50, which was a good suggestion since it was equivalent to $18 pounds which I managed to lose the 10 bill somehow - I'm thinking that it accidentally fell out of my pocket when I grabbed my camera. Oh well.

London reminds me a lot of Chicago. I saw Big Ben and went through the National Art Museum and Gallery. I waled through Leicaster Square, Picadilly Circus and Trafalga Square. I saw Westminster Abbey. I walked around Waterloo and saw the London Eye. I walked to St. James Park and through the horse guard. I didn't make it to Buckingham Palace after the horse guard as I was getting hungry and my feet were beginning to hurt from not being able to break in my shoes. I stopped for dinner in square and then asked for directions to Buckingham Palace. It took two wait staff to tell me, why I have no clue. They told me to get on a bus and take the next stop - yeah that wasn't right. I decided I wanted a break from walking and thought I would ride the bus around in a big circle - or not! I got kicked off at the last stop and then ended up walking back to where I began!

Since I had basically walked around London for four hours, I decided to call it quits and headed back to the hotel. I did enjoy London. I didn't find people to be friendly as everyone seems to be in a rush. It was weird getting use to seeing cars on the wrong side of the road as well as drivers. Cars are much smaller and I see mini-vans and no SUV's and very few trucks. I almost got run over by a biker in the bike lane! People don't use the walk signs and walk when they desire. London seems to be quite culturally diverse.

Back in my hotel room I decide to surf the television channels. I'm surprised to find a dart competition being televised. To further intrigue, I find myself return back to the darts to watch it! I wasn't able to find a weather channel so I'm in the dark on what to wear. The hair dryer is an odd contraption that resembles an old vacuum cleaner with the hose that blows out instead of sucking in. Hmm....and a heated towel bar that I almost burn my hand on! I'm not sure that I'm ready for this trip! ;)

Pictures of London will follow when I manage to upload them - definitely not tonight!

No comments: