Sunday, April 27, 2008

Relief, Auction & My Next Adventure

I can now officially be relieved to have completed my blog about my European trip! I haven't decided where I want to go with my RT US ticket. I've been kicking around the idea of flying solo to one of the handful of states I have yet to see - Wyoming, Texas, New Mexico. I've also considered flying out to my brother and sister-in-laws new place in VT, but then it's whether or not to go solo or to take my son. If I took my son, I think we would both prefer the road trip. We do really look forward to them and the stops and sights along the way. I had initially thought about going to South Carolina this summer with my son. I can have two weeks with him - so I figure I owe him something since he was left behind from Europe!

Did I ever mention my obsession with auctions? Maybe obsession is extreme, but I do get caught up in them. One of the local colleges has had one annually for the past, five years or more. It use to be televised. For the entire week, I would race home to watch the auction and bid. I would get restaurant certificates, theater tickets, weekend getaways. I loved it! The rush of the thrill of competition and good deals, how can you go wrong? Then, two years ago the phone auction went online. What a HUGE disappointment. Not that many of my auction purchases were the most feasible since I always seemed to be scrambling before they expired to use them or to get to the various theater productions, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Last year I didn't buy anything - maybe my own personal boycott, maybe not. This year, I checked out the auction since I'm on their email mailer. I didn't find anything too exciting, other than a few vacations.

Now vacations for me are also tricky. I seem to get "stuck" with vacations and following through with them with significant others despite the fact that the relationship should have ended had it not been for vacations. I think that is why Europe was so fabulous. It was just me. No one else to worry about, no extra baggage. So the thought of getting a vacation online, that is geared for two, wasn't really all that welcoming. But to have a vacation option right in front of me that I didn't have to plan, now that was convenient. There was a UK trip for two that included airfare - and I thought this would be wonderful to take my mom; however, sans passport and blackout days galore, she didn't seem as interested. And, realistically when I read the description of the tour, I wasn't really either. Especially since I just spent a whole, one, day there, I should travel somewhere I've never been! I really would love to travel the UK, just not sure if I want to do it before April 2009 ~ unless of course I go to visit Tania! Another trip was an Amazon Adventure trip for two. I really was interested in this one! I didn't know who the other person would be, but thought maybe it could be a reconnect trip with my brother, Army Man. Who better then to fend for yourself in the Amazon then with a career military man and brother? The bidding on this was almost full price so I bowed out of that one too. Then there was a romantic getaway for two to http://www.paradisebayresort.net/ in Grenada. Why would I want something for two to Paradise? Yeah, no thanks.

The auction closed tonight. I had looked at it again yesterday but didn't seem that interested in much. I bid on a few of the trips only to raise the amount for other bidders! A co-worker of mine, and a serious auction junkie said that she would likely wait until the last minute to bid on anything - but she wasn't that interested in anything either. We grovel about the online auction all the time - bring back the t.v. version. I'll even volunteer to take calls and be videoed answering them, seriously, I will. Anyway, so the auction was scheduled to close at 8:30p.m.

We didn't get home until about 8:50p.m. and the auction was still open. It was scheduled to close at 9:09p.m. The Grenada trip was the lowest of the trips, and was looking rather inviting. Am I serious? How am I going to get to Grenada? When am I going to get to Grenada? Who will I go to Grenada with? Exactly where is Grenada? It didn't matter, details to be determined later. I have until April '09 to figure it all out, if I win. So, I bid on it, again and again and again. The bidding continued until there wasn't a bid for five minutes. During that time I checked out the site, checked out the package, checked out where exactly Grenada was. And...I WON.

I'M GOING TO GRENADA. Beyond that, I don't have a clue!

2008 Year of Travel...is going GREAT!

No comments: