Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Un-Date

A weekend ago, I met for the second time MS at the pool hall. Whatever. We exchanged numbers and then throughout the first few days of the week we shared emails and phone calls. On Wednesday I managed to really offend him by asking a few questions regarding drinking in an email. Maybe it was a test to see how he would react. Maybe I really wanted him to respond in a certain way ~ to tell me that both times I met him he hadn't been drinking, which in fact he hadn't. But he didn't. He didn't respond at all. See, because his emails bragged about him getting buzzed and drunk regarding almost everything recreational. So I asked him if he did anything recreational without drinking. Even though, I knew that the answer was yes.

Needless to say, he didn't respond. Not to tell me I was wrong or to tell me off. We were suppose to hang out on Monday, Memorial Day. On Sunday, he did call me. Of course he admitted that he had been pissed. He said that he recalled a friend's dad was back in the dating scene and told him "Women always look for what is wrong in a man." Whatever. Seriously, with this guy, I didn't have to look. It was blatantly obvious. Regardless though, as a friend, hanging out didn't seem like a horrible possibility.

We made "tentative plans" to hang out on Monday. He said to call him in the morning. After really thinking about seeing him on Monday I had decided maybe I didn't want to go. It isn't like me to bail or cancel plans. But the idea of hanging out with someone that I really don't know and don't want to ever date, I wasn't sure what the purpose was. I called him after 2p.m. Yeah, kind of morning, right?

Anyway, long story short, I met my girlfriend TS for an early dinner and bowling. This guy wanted to hang out at the Eagles (VFW hall) because they have $1.25 beers and watch the Red Wings game. Hmmm...not my idea of impression regardless of the purpose of hanging with this guy. But I agreed that was fine. I called him at 7p.m. and he was at his neighbors drinking beer. I asked if he planned on staying there for the game and he said it was highly likely if they could get it in. He asked if I wanted directions, "No". Why in my right mind would I want to hang with a guy I had only met twice with his neighbors? Maybe if I liked the guy, it would be different. Maybe.

Seemed like the perfect out. TS was of course pissed again, at the mentality of this guy and his best foot forward. TS and I decided to hit the town on our own ~ mind you Memorial Day isn't the time to hit the town, it's time to be with family BBQ'ing. Enroute to our second bar (the first was closed), he called me. He didn't realize for a whole minute I had picked up the phone and continued another conversation. When he finally realized the silence, he said "hello". He told me that they needed more players for "Catch Phrase" and that they had "Tall Ones, Corona's" and that we should come right over. Click.

And that was the end of my Un-Date.

No comments: