Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tulip Time Parade Paranoia

This year was the first time I had upfront and personal experience of Parade Paranoia. Maybe that isn't the perfect terminology, but for Tulip Time 2008 - it's what I'll coin it. Growing up, every year I participated in numerous parades. Marching with the band, walking with the Little League, whatever it may have been. I don't recall specifically going to watch many, since I was in them.

Now as an adult, I can't say that I have a strong like for parades. Maybe if my son was in them, it would be different. Maybe not. Nonetheless, I'm ok with getting there before parade time and finding a place to stand and watching. No big deal, right? Wrong!

Apparently parade watching is going to be the next Olympic Sport. I kid you not! From the planning and the preparation. To the staking of tarps, blankets, ropes to mark your spot. To the chairs, the view, the neighbors. To the people that live on the parade route that have buffet tables of food and beverages, to those that stake their claim bringing food and beverages. It's crazy. It's insane - it's too much for me! Seriously, while the parade is 2.5 hours long, it isn't something that you will die if you don't get the best view, or starve if you haven't brought the kitchen sink!

I found it entertaining and comical. Especially experiencing JA's longtime ritual of parade watching. To the stressed out phone calls, the concern for the location, to packing up the gear to leave to go back to pick it up. Maybe, they are just more trusting than I would be. I keep my belongings with me at all times. I wouldn't expect that my things placed there strategically the night before, would still be there if I wasn't with them all night. But they are. People really can be trusting to not steal, vandalize or move your things. It almost restored some faith that I have or don't have in people.

The parade was a little long for me and rather uneventful. Not that I expected wondrous things, but the Tulip Time kids parade, while all kids is more enjoyable to watch for me as kids are so cute and do the darndest things! At least I can now say that I experienced second-hand Parade Paranoia.

No comments: