Thursday, May 8, 2008

Baseball...Love of the Game

I think I'm a baseball fanatic. I grew up watching the Tigers. I think that probably stopped about the time they won their last World Series. I use to love going to Tiger Stadium and Lafayette Coney Island. Fabulous family memories were shared at Tiger Stadium.

Then, I guess I grew up or grew old. Living on the other side of the state, we don't go to Tigers games. I find watching baseball on television as exciting as...dog shows. No offense to others that like them. I think I even found the London dart match more entertaining. But...there is nothing like being there. The sounds, the smells, the crack of a bat, the chanting, the cheering, the game...the experience.

I do enjoy the Whitecaps games as they are very family oriented between innings and it's closer to home. Last year we went to a Tiger's game and had a lot of fun. If we did it again, I'd splurge for better seats. Growing up my dad as a Purchasing Agent would get awesome seats, often times front row. My brother even got a ball or two. So, it's hard to compare.

Tonight, my son and I went to watch JA's son play...Little League. Last year was his first season...ever...playing baseball. And man, he has skills! He stayed down in the league as his birthday fell on the cut off, so I miss seeing JA at the ball fields as our kids play on different nights. It does allow me to watch his games on occasion though. Tonight was one of those. While we sat with the blowing wind and my frozen toes, we watched Little League at it's best. Or should I say...worst. From the screaming and otherwise oblivious coach to the five run per inning rule to the irate parent to the contesting rule book followers. Talk about drama. There was screaming and chanting and cheering. There were hits and runs and steals and errors. There was suspense. There was sun setting and limited vision. There was a parent that left with his son in the heat of a new inning because it was 9:00p.m., despite there being a tie. The opposing team was undefeated and didn't want to end on a tie, so another inning was played. This game had EVERYTHING!

And...JA wanted to leave! Not even being my son, I couldn't leave...not in the middle of a suspense filled, tie game! How does one just walk out in the middle of that, despite my frozen toes that were turning blue? Clearly not me!

All in all - JA's son got his second hit of the night and was the tying run. They scored the winning run on a stolen base home! NOW THAT'S BASEBALL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for staying. If it wasn't for you I would have left and been disappointed. CA was also happy we stayed. You ROCK!!!!!