Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nerves re: demotion/promotion prospect

Today I had a terrible case of the nerves. I'm not usually like that. I arrived at my "work station" and found a yellow post-it on my desk that said, "Come and see me 5/20 (X 5/19)". Due to my drive time, I typically leave by 3:30p.m. Yesterday I left early as I had gone in early and had my son's eye appointment. I went to see Head Supervisor X with a lump in my throat. To my dismay, X wasn't there. I just wanted to get it over. It wasn't like I was really nervous at that point, but the painful wait and the saga that I put myself through was pure torture. If I had the ability to make myself sick, I was pretty close to it.

I racked my brain for anything I may have done wrong or even done right. In my job, praise is few and far between. I have been praised and appreciated at this current position - although the negativity is higher as my good work leads to more work and issues for others. If I were more passive and didn't want to do the job well, I think I would fly under the radar and do better. Sometimes I just tend to rub people the wrong way, hmm...go figure. So the thought of a promotion recommendation would be the equivalent of me winning the lottery without buying a ticket. Not even one in a billion.

By mid-day X came to find me. I so wish he had been in his office when I first went there, it would have saved me a lot of agony. X had a lot more testing for me to do. Ah, the chosen work is commended with a job well done...by getting MORE WORK. Honestly though, I'll take work over boredom any day.

No comments: