Saturday, May 31, 2008

Asthma

On April 18, 2008, I took my son to the hospital for a pulmonary function test to check for asthma. After many calls, I still hadn't heard the results. Granted, I had been told that it may take up to two weeks for the results to be dictated and transferred back to his PCP as the testing was done in a nearby hospital. At four weeks, when I called again for the results, I was glad that this wasn't a life-threatening test or it might have been too late. I was hoping that maybe the results were good that he didn't have asthma or I would have known in a timely fashion.

That wouldn't be the case. This morning I received the call from his PCP that the test results were conclusive to asthma. Poor kid, he can't seem to get a break. All of his parents negative genes, all rolled into one smart and handsome young man ~ poor eyesight, small jaw & overbite, asthma, allergies, etc. Hopefully that is just the worst of it - really hope he doesn't inherit the poor health of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, COPD, etc. Still crossing my fingers.

While his new doctor reported no such thing as "Sports related asthma", I think his is exacerbated by intense physical activity. That's different, right? I know that my late onset asthma was. I was prescribed an inhaler but hardly if ever used it. I just avoid things that induce it - like running or jogging. I'm not really sure if I used the inhaler if I would find either of those things enjoyable, since I tend to use the asthma and two knee surgeries as well as general dislike of both as reasons to avoid them.

Next week I'll find out what medications they recommend for him and go from there. Call it a mother's instinct ~ since the new doctor clearly seemed to think I was off my rocker for questioning that he had asthma in the first place since he doesn't have the "atypical" symptoms of wheezing and coughing. But, if there is something out there that assists him in doing the things he loves to do easier, I'm all for it.

No comments: