Monday, May 12, 2008

Travel Trials

Today is just one of those travel troublesome days. Maybe it's time to finally put closure to some of the loose ends of my latest travel adventures. Although I didn't think today would have anything at all to do with my travels.

It started off with a forwarded email from my mom and the travel company I booked the plane tickets through Grenada. I used my mom's email and address, when I should have used my own. Anyway, the tickets were canceled that we just finally secured and purchased last week! Sigh...so if we chose to cancel, if allowed, there would be fees but there is no recourse if the airlines or agent cancel. So, I emailed that my mom should call the agent booking number and see what was going on. Long story short, they claimed the tickets went up $59/each so they canceled the tickets as they were unable to contact anyone about the increase. My mom called with another option that was going to be $500 for the three tickets with 9-10 hour layovers in JFK and Baltimore...ugh. So much for exploring Trinidad on a layover. I told my mom to not book them, I would search more but we were disconnected. She booked those tickets and then apparently talked with yet another person and found the same rate we originally had and then booked those while the first ones of the morning were credited. Six hours later, we may have new tickets. Better her than me on the phone, my tolerance would have never lasted sixty minutes let alone six hours! I'm rather skeptical as two of our flights fly at 1:30a.m. so I questioned if it was legit. I wasn't at a computer to look into it, and I have never heard of regularly scheduled flights flying so late, but they claim they are real. Will have to find out if they sell them at that and then delay until the next day.

Then during the phone calls with my mom, the auction called to follow up from our conversation on Friday. I was almost impressed with the guy on the phone on Friday. Ok, maybe I thought he got it. I thought wrong. He told me that since we wanted to travel during blackout dates that the price would be over $2k more than we are paying. Except, we aren't going during blackout dates! I told him that and he said, "You want to travel in December, right?" "No, that would be AUGUST." So he says, "Oh yeah, August. That's a higher rate too." Whatever buddy. Can you at least lie better than THAT?

Have I ever mentioned how irritating I find INCOMPETENCE?

Waiting for me in my mailbox (after I found two roses stuck in between my doors when I came home) was a letter from the travel company about my complaint. Very nice and politically correct, it was. Bottomline, Cosmos is a budget travel company. Sorry that you had issues with the tour guide, bus driver and another traveler. Hope you still had good memories. Blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, and seeing that some taxi drivers are liars, we've included $14.71 to cover the additional charges in the exchange rate at the time, that you incurred traveling to the airport. Warm wishes and we hope you will travel with us again. YEAH...NOT.

So maybe my travel isn't going so well. I still have to get a passport for my son and actually find out if his dad will let me exercise my two weeks vacation during that time. Looks like I'll have to rely on my trusty "Friend" of the Court for some assistance...SUPER. Maybe a notary letter will be a better option than finding a time that my son, his dad and I can all be in the same place at the same time to get his passport. If only the passport locale could be at the ball field...Now there's an idea...

No comments: