Sunday, May 11, 2008

Memory Loss vs. Alcohol

Saturday night, JA and I went out. Continuing with the Tulip Time festivities, we wanted to check out the Bier & Muzik Festival. We grabbed dinner and drinks before ~ maybe a few too many drinks to start off the night. We ate at a Brewery and had a sampler tray of brewed beers. None which I can say were super tasty, even consumed as beer shooters! Or maybe it was the bay breeze chaser that made the next beer taste all the worse!

JA and I use to work at the same company, 11 years ago. We didn't know each other then, but we know some of the same people. More than anything we recognize the same names, even if they aren't faces or specifics that we recall. JA worked on the line, 2nd & 3rd shifts, while I worked in the office on 1st shift. There were several people that we saw that night that also worked at the same company, so many years ago. What a small world.

Our beverage of choice at the festival was called Wild Blue. A blueberry beer that we were warned stained super easily, but of the beer options was definitely pretty good. In the several hours we were there, we each had several beers. I didn't realize exactly what condition JA was in. She seemed to be walking around fine and conversing fine. She was making me laugh by asking to walk since she couldn't feel her face!

On a mission to find out what the VIP tent offered, someone grabbed me. I didn't have a clue who she was. Was it memory or the alcohol? Seriously, I managed to say a few REALLY dumb things to her. Yep, call me sheltered, I so need to leave the house more often and boost my social skills! Needless to say, she knew me and I didn't recognize her in the least. She then said her name, which of course rang bells that I did in fact know her! Duh, she obviously already knew that I knew her. I haven't seen her, in at least five years if not more. I think I heard that she and her husband were having a baby, who is now five. How time flies. Unfortunately, they are getting divorced. Dumb comment #2, I mentioned her husband's name, who ISN'T her husband. NICE. Oops...at this point I should have inserted foot in mouth and walked away with my head down and tail between my legs...but I didn't. She continued to talk to me, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I recall, maybe. I guess it depends on if she calls like she said she would!

A friend of mine met me back where I parked. JA was able to meet him, although at that point, she couldn't open her eyes - so still do this date she hasn't seen him! The rest of my night went fine. Unfortunately JA's didn't go as well as I learned today that she was able to involuntary expel quite a bit of her caloric intake both last night and this morning!

All in all...what a Tulip Time experience! Might just have to check it out next year too!

No comments: