Friday, May 23, 2008

McDonald's Issues

Let me start off by saying, by no means am I a fast food connoisseur. I typically don't eat fast food; however, when I do, I have my favorites. For instance, I can't stand McDonald's, with the exception of their Egg McMuffin Sandwich. For lunch it's Burger King's Whopper Jr. minus pickles and onions, etc.

This morning, finding myself early for work, but not early enough to grab breakfast at home, I headed to McDonald's. The drive-through was pretty backed up so I opted to go inside. It never fails, like the grocery lines in the supermarket, I always pick the longer route. I was fourth in line and there was only one woman taking orders. Behind her was a Supervisor or sorts, a leathered man of late 50's that was blowing bubbles with his gum. Super professional. Anyway, he was "assisting" her by looking over her shoulder, occasionally grabbing a coffee, staring at the tickets, etc. Pretty much, useless. But in his defense, maybe she was an employee in training ~ although she was completely competent. As an FYI, I worked at that McDonald's for four long days, 12 years ago.

The first man in line had moved to the side after his order was taken, waiting for his food. He was a middle aged man, who clearly appeared to be under the influence of something. His eyes were partially open and he had a swagger. Needless to say, when he picked up his uneven tray of a medium Coke and a breakfast burrito, he managed to tip over the Coke sending it flying half way across the lobby. Mind you, everyone saw this. The lady gave him another Coke. The "Supervisor" did and said nothing.

The man in front of me allowed me to order before him as he had a large order. There were two other people that had walked into McDonald's at this time and two more orders were taken. All the while, nothing was done about the Coke and ice strewn across the floor. While I was waiting for my order, I looked at the Supervisor, in between his bubble blowing and said, "You might want to clean this up before a lawsuit is filed." His response, "Yeah, I'm working on it."

I hate liars and I hate incompetence. Had the man acknowledged that he hadn't done anything - which obviously I and the others knew - or said that he would get right on it, that would have been a different story. But...HE DIDN'T.

Again, this experience confirms exactly why I don't like McDonald's.

And, why is it that McDonald's finds it necessary to burn the edges of every english muffin they cook?

No comments: