Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Travel Insurance

I seriously have no idea what the purpose is of travel insurance. With my trip to Europe, even though the travel agent didn't think that the trip was very expensive, I still opted to get the insurance. Afterall, outside of Canada and the Bahamas, it was my first international trip in almost two decades.

So I really thought that I was protecting myself by getting the trip insurance for the tour as well as airline insurance through Travelocity. When the airlines grounded the plane due to the 777 issues, I thought the insurance would cover it. One of them, at least.

I missed an entire day and evening in London. I did get there the following morning and the airlines covered meals and the hotel. Travelocity told me that the insurance didn't cover the trip interruption by the airline. Tripmate insurance for the tour said that they would.

When I returned, after a second request, I did submit the travel claim to Tripmate as well as my complaint letter to the tour company. The tour company gave me $14.17 to reimburse the extra taxi cost that I paid and that was it. Two other guests in the UK were given $50 and $75 from their complaint letters. Sigh...My travel insurance claim included the cost of one day/night and less than $10 for migraine medicine I purchased at the airport and a dollar or so that the airport meal vouchers didn't cover.

Today I received a message from Tripmate that they will be sending two separate checks, to cover the medication and the meal. In regard to the reimbursement for the missed day, the insurance didn't cover that kind of trip interruption.

Sigh...think the only break that I'm going to get...is an arm or a leg. Or should I say, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all?

Just seems like no one wants to take accountability. So bum deal that I managed to pay for TWO insurances and neither manage to assist me with compensation for my missed day and opportunity in London but I manage to be compensated for $10.00, and honestly I think it's really only $8.50.

What a deal.

No comments: