Thursday, June 19, 2008

UnDating Story 101

When I was in college I was a customer service person for a rental car company in the local airport. I took classes during the day, worked on campus as a receptionist and from 3-11p.m. worked at the rental car company paying my bills through college.

I had this philosophy that if someone had the nerve to ask me out, why not? Fortunately for me, this didn't happen to often. Maybe that's why to this day I still harbor that rule of thumb. I'm trying to break that rule.

My co-workers and friends called this guy that worked as a limo driver a "tool". Apparently he liked me. Whatever. He reminded me of Carrot Top, in a way. He seemed nice to talk to, whatever. Then again, I've always been slightly naive.

It wasn't until after the fact that my friends told me he was asking me out. Missed that boat. He came up and asked if I had ever been to "Burdicks". I didn't have a clue what that was and he said it was a restaurant. No. He asked if I liked fine dining. Um...as a broke college student, umm...not really. He asked if I liked wood floors and wood railings. What??? He then asked if I liked fine desserts. No...I'm more of a cheesecake type person than tiramisu. He then asked if I liked fine coffee. Why everything was "fine" I have no idea. To this day, I have never had a cup of coffee so that would be a No. He asked if I liked fine tea, No, negative. He then asked if I liked pop - nope don't drink that either. He then asked, what do you drink? Do you like water? Yes, I do like water! At that point, the conversation was done and he walked away and I don't recall that we ever talked again.

In retrospect, I still wouldn't answer any of the questions differently. Maybe had they been asked differently, I would have given a different answer. Like hey, sometime would you like to go out? I know of this great place downtown, Burdicks. Or something. Maybe it was my missed boat...or limo ride!

I haven't lost sleep over it...yet...so I think I will survive. Probably shattered what little self esteem and ego the poor guy had and completely unintenionally.

No comments: