Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dementia

I decided I wanted to know the difference between dementia and Alzheimer's. With the Internet galaxy as a world of vast knowledge and resource, I figured it would be right at my fingertips. I wasn't so fortunate. Surprisingly enough, for me, was that clicking on links to dementia routed me to Alzheimer's not noting anything about dementia. Further searching I learned of a variety of dementia's caused by various mental illnesses and other issues and that Alzheimer's is actually the most well known form of dementia. I think in the recesses of my mind, I knew this; however, I became confused when my step-mom mentioned that she was going to have my father tested for dementia. There was also discussion of Alzheimer's but my recollection was that she felt that my father didn't have Alzheimer's.

Unfortunately, my dad isn't aging well. He has a multitude of chronic illnesses likely congruent with depression. He suffered a stroke a while back and attributes his memory loss to the stroke. It may be.

I don't see my dad often enough as he lives in Florida. I do try to call him and talk to him, but not near enough as I suppose I should. He openly acknowledges difficulty to recall conversations and even jokes about whether or not I want to tell him anything else that he will forget. He struggles with remembering the names of his grandchildren. He has struggled with my name. I'm OK with that. Sometimes, it's just a way of life.

I don't dwell on what was or what isn't. When I call, I identify myself and with the help of caller id, he knows who I am. I name people during the conversations, especially my son to remind him. Sometimes I just have to laugh...because otherwise I may cry.

When I saw my dad the other night, for the first time in about a year....I went up to him and said, "Hi Dad, It's..." He acknowledged me and said, "Where's your husband?"

Ummmm.....yeah. Without missing a beat, "I said, oh you mean X, my brother? He's right over there!" I found it funny. My sister-in-law then told this to my step-mom who later mentioned it to me along with his need to have him tested for dementia.

Why bother I ask? Seriously, he's already on a slew of medications and many that he can't afford. Medical bills up the wazoo. Why bother to have more tests done to tell you what you already know? Yes, we can all admit that he doesn't remember things. His long term memory at times is better than his short-term memory, at times. He can't recall names.

Seriously...he remembered that I was married...something I try hard to forget!

No comments: