Thursday, June 12, 2008

Girlfriend or Girl Friend

I couldn't come up with a creative title for this blog. I've been contemplating it for a while. I don't want to offend anyone.

My son is 11 and just completed the 5th grade. Daycare...definitely a dilemma for me. At 12, a child is legal to be left alone and a Protective Services referral won't be made. Of course, they can be younger than that if they are responsible and don't warrant a call from someone. My son has been going to an after school program for many years now that also offers a "summer camp" aka daycare. He is one of the oldest, but said that there are five others similar in age for this summer. I'm really struggling with what to do with him for next school year - the after school program is willing to keep him until 8th grade since he's no problem, but I think he's a little old.

In our town we have an after school program through the community that charges $5.00 per year. It's been around for a long time. My son's dad actually wanted our son to go there since he was of age, 6. Umm...no thanks. It is supervised, but not what I chose at the time.

My friend, maybe I should refrain from saying girlfriend JA since this may cause additional confusion, was planning on signing her son and stepson up for the summer program. The $5.00 lasts for the year, so I figured why not sign up my son just in case he ever wants to go or that it might be a great option for the school year. Apparently an orientation is required and my friend was attending one this evening.

I managed to get back in town in time and met her at the Club for the orientation. We walked in together. The "receptionist" if you will was, well unfriendly to say the least. Apparently I wasn't able to attend orientation as I hadn't filled out the two-sided application and paid the $5.00. My friend advocated about it and I was able to participate in the orientation but had to leave my unfinished application at the front desk to finish later and pay. Seriously, I think this was like top security, I was applying for a secret CIA mission, I just didn't know it. I could have easily finished the application in the orientation room, but hate to break the rules!

The person giving the orientation was a young lady, couldn't have been barely 21, if that. Then again, I'm so bad with ages! There were probably seven or eight adults around the table, a couple, a grandfather and other single parents with their children. JA and I were sat next to each other and didn't have our kids there. In order to determine funding for TANF, whether eligible or not, all applicants had to fill out the form. The "girl" passed out the applications, giving one to JA and then moving back to the front of the room to pass them out to the rest of the group.

Then it dawned on me. She thought that JA and I were a couple! JA and I found this intensely funny. While JA had been the question-asker of the group, I did pipe up and ask if I didn't have to fill out the form. I think that she was slightly embarrassed.

After the orientation finished, she offered to give people a tour. I said I had to finish my application but had time for a 2.5 minute tour. At the end of the tour, the lady asked JA and I how old our children were. We both told her and she asked their names. I told her my son likely wouldn't be there this summer, but possibly in the fall. I figure the $5.00 wasn't a big deal anyway, even though I'll have to pay it again in the fall as that's when the new year starts. She then commented that I should come in in the fall and she would remember me.

JA and I tried to process that one. Why would she remember me? JA and I wondered if we dressed odd or gave some indication that we were a couple. Maybe she will remember as she was embarrassed that she assumed we were lesbians and we are not. Maybe I shouldn't let my hair do it's natural curl anymore.

I used to joke with my mom and tell her that I haven't found the right woman yet. My brother and I learned early on with her that the scare factor goes a long way with her. So if I told her I may date a woman, she might be more accepting of a boyfriend that wasn't to her liking! Maybe the joke's on me.

No comments: