Thursday, June 12, 2008

Get Fit

I bit the bullet tonight and joined a gym. My past history doesn't warrant success this time around either, but the offer seemed to good to pass up. I have received similar offers before to other gyms and I disregard them all. I had a friend that did one of the offers and it was actually legit, so I figured I would check this one out.

In summary: 2 years membership, 4 days a week for $189.00.

It's within walking distance of my house - but then again after training for the 60 mile walk last year, lots of things are no within walking distance! So I went to check it out tonight. Clearly I'm not working out as much as I would like. My basement has a vast array of gym equipment from an elliptical, stationary bike, 2 ab machines, weights, resistance balls, rings, videos, step bench, etc. I go through stages of what I use.

When I was staying regularly at the hotel near my temporary work, I was doing Jillian's workout DVD's. They definitely kicked my butt, but then I decided I didn't want to stay in the hotel anymore. I keep telling myself that when I stop commuting, I'll find more time to get back into a routine and work out more. I know this is a joke - since I don't get home any later than I would if I worked locally, for the most part. And maybe, sometime within the next two years, I'll make time!

I'm actually very uncoordinated. I can't dance, I can't do aerobics. I CAN laugh at myself while I try. These are things I prefer to do in the company of my own home. Although, I would enjoy doing it with another person, maybe my girlfriend JA would like to join me! If there were drop in classes at a gym that fit my time schedule, I think I would go.

For those of you that know me or that may have read my blogs, you know that there are times when someone can sell me the world. Going to the gym tonight, the base package was 4 days for $189. I could upgrade to the full membership, 7 days a week which includes all classes. There she had me. They offer 30 classes a week, beginning as early as 5:30a.m. and as late as 7:10p.m. Walk-in prices are $7.00 per class. To upgrade to the full membership with all classes, a low one time cost of only $348 or 6 easy installments of $89.99 (just kidding!).

Now I'm an official member of a gym...for the next 2 years. I'm sure I will look at my membership card on my key chain and hope that everytime I think about working out that burn 50 calories.

I'm actually pretty excited, since it's so local, I can literally walk there for warm up and cool down and get a great workout and get out of the house. Besides, the elliptical really is my favorite, but I hate the one I own.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that through my work I have had 24 hour access to a gym for free for the past...ummmm 4 years that I don't use?

So here's to fitness and fun!

No comments: