Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oddities & Memorizations

Do you ever find yourself wondering WHY you remember certain things? Those of us from Michigan can likely recite the Five Great Lakes by remember HOMES - Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie and Superior. We all have little nuances that help us to remember things or just things that we've memorized that we never forget.

In 6th grade I had to memorize the Pledge of Allegiance...in French. I actually recited it when I was in France, but the oddity of it all made me think...how bizarre. Seriously, what was the purpose of learning an American Pledge of Allegiance in French? It surely didn't help me to communicate with anyone while I was there and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to run into someone saying the Pledge of Allegiance in French to me that I will have to decipher...odd.

Then the other night, I found myself reciting a poem from Shel Silverstein's A Light In The Attic. I memorized a few of them when I was about 8, since I seemed to read them over and over again. Some of my friends call me Mo/Moe...and there is a poem in there which I will likely inaccurately quote, but as I remember it, "Mo memorized the dictionary but can't seem to find a job. Or anyone who wants to marry someone that memorized the dictionary."

Interesting, 24 years later I still remember...maybe that's really the story of my life...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the pledge of allegiance in French? I want to know. :)

Ms. Independent said...

I can only say it, the spelling would be atrocious! Again, I have yet to understand why anyone in their right mind would care to say the American Pledge of Allegiance in French...