Friday, June 13, 2008

Girls?

I'm not ready for my son to be interested in girls. Fortunately, he's not ready to be interested in girls either!

I had been home for less then 10 minutes and the doorbell rang, twice. I figured it was either fellowship members of the church, Jehovah's Witnesses, Tru Green or Girl Scouts...although rather persistent. I came bounding up the stairs to open the door to two young girls, not in Girl Scout uniforms and no parent standing at the end of the drive.

Giggly, swaying and full of smiles they asked if my son was home. WHAT????

No, he's not home and he's never going to be home - I think. Then the thoughts of Mama's Boy the movie we just watched last night come flooding through my mind and I think - oh he so is moving out of the house by the time he's 20, I should start him young. And in that fleeting moment I tell the cute little ragamuffins, "No he's not here. He's at his dad's this weekend." Which really, he is.

I have no idea who they were. I did see where they raced off to, so I know they are friends of our next door neighbor and my son's classmate. Other than that, I'll likely sound like the dumb mom I feel that I am quickly becoming if I share with him, "Hey bud, two cute girls - one blond and one brunette ran over to see if you were home Friday night." Yeah, that conversation will go well.

Maybe I'll just wait until the next time...hopefully four years from now!

No comments: