Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Am I Smarter Than A...Dog?

Sometimes I wonder how smart I really am, not very often though. It isn't like I'm going to do anything to improve my genius ability or lack thereof. I occasionally would watch Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, which clearly having a 5th grade son, I think I am and yet some of the questions are clearly NOT at that level. Or maybe it's just that they are so remotely odd that why would we want to recall that knowledge anyway?

My son and I were playing catch the other day. I still find a baseball is so small, compared to a softball that I grew up with. So, I managed to throw an intensely wild throw, straight into my parents small wooded area with a slope. Needless to say, we looked and looked and looked. I even tried to become one with the ball. You know..."If I were the ball, where would I be?" Yeah, that so didn't work. We finally gave up, although the persistent personality I have couldn't let it go, the ball had to be somewhere!

My mom suggested that I take her black lab, now 13 (but seemingly aging by the minute as by the end of the day he was reportedly 15) and have him find the ball for me. I tried that, but he struggled with the brush and the hill and came up empty. My mom then came out so the three of us could look for it again.

We kept trying to get the dog, "Gump" to find the ball. He wasn't having any luck so he left and went and sat in the grass at the top of the hill. We continued to look. When we finally gave up, we looked at the dog and right there in his mouth, was the ball. It was as if he were mocking the two of us while we continued to search.

Am I really smarter than a dog????

No comments: