Monday, June 16, 2008

Baseball Blues

If I haven't grieved enough about baseball, I really want to do it some more! Actually, I do like baseball, just not when it takes up what seems like every ounce of energy and the entire summer!

The regular season is done, so now it's team tournaments - double elimination. They may be done Wednesday night, or they may continue to some other to be determined. Oh how I'm learning to hate TBD. It makes it difficult for someone with a recovering "A" personality to schedule or plan for....anything!

Today I received a congratulatory message that my son made the All Star Team. YAHOO, right? Yeah, I know that I should be happy. Reality is, he doesn't deserve it. He may be the best on HIS team, but honestly that isn't saying much. The other teams have many more talented players. I think that his second year on the team may be more deserving of the All Star's. So, I would assume that he should be spending significant time warming the bench for others. All Star's really should be about the gifted and talented players and it isn't a team that should be fair or equal playing time for all team members.

Right, I'm still happy, oh so happy! Until I hear about practices and games. Practices...TBD...but could be as early as Wednesday, which he already has a game. So looking like Thursday or Friday but according to the coach if it can't be this week then it will be Saturday or Sunday. Oh yes, the life of a baseball mother. All Star games will begin the weekend before July 4th and include pool play which the top two of four teams move on. Then there is some weekend tournament in July. So, minimally he's looking at...8 games!

I'm so glad that he told his dad he didn't want to play for another team across town starting this week too!

My summer...chauffeur to baseball practice and watch baseball games. As it's a new coach for All Star's, I may need to refreshen my appropriate parent skills as I likely will not be doing the score keeping and pitch count which keeps my mouth at bay!

No comments: