Saturday, June 21, 2008

Cooking

There are some things that I can do and some things that I can't. Then there are things that I can do that I don't always acknowledge. Because once people know what you are capable of, they usually expect it. Of course this usually applies more to dating than to friendships, but not always.

Taking cooking for example. I can cook. I really can. I use to tell people that I can cook. And...then they expected me to cook for them.

I'm not stupid. I quickly learned to say that I can't cook. That way no one expects anything and if and when I desire to cook, surprise I must have learned it online or found time to watch a good food channel. Yeah, that's it.

I'm a no kind of frills cook though. It's all about the basics, unless of course I'm trying to impress...which is almost never, so yah, it's all about the basics. Pretty much anything I cook, should be done in around 15 minutes. I hate slaving over a stove, oven and kitchen for hours to inhale the food and then be stuck cleaning. I want good food done fast...oh wait, is that the new Wendy's slogan, I know it's close to someone's slogan.

I think I've spoiled my son. Seriously. He HATES going out to dinner. He hates having to wait. He wants his food and wants it now, when he's hungry that is. Occasionally, I prefer to go out to eat, but I almost have to pay him off to get him to go. How does that happen? I use to love going out to dinner as a child, which was so seldom.

Typically we eat dinner rather late. I always offer lots of choices to my son, whatever. There are times where I don't since I have something on my mind or meat in the refrigerator that needs to be cooked. So at 4p.m. I asked my son if he was hungry since I was pretty much starving. He said that he was.

Within 15 minutes, I had cooked corn on the cob, pork chops and made a greek salad (with peppers, cucumbers, beets, feta, mushrooms and tomatoes). The dinner was on the table and I was ready to eat. My son was questioning me while I was still in the kitchen for each item if I had made it yet. Then he was shocked and claimed it had only been 10 minutes!

A healthy cooked meal. We are stuffed and the kitchen is clean and it wasn't even 50 minutes from start to finish. Now that's my kind of cooking!

No comments: