Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Post Colonoscopy

The morning of, I was still craving food like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't arrive at the hospital soon enough to sit and wait. Mr. Date was there by my side and arrived in the morning with a dozen red roses and a beautiful card. I wasn't nervous just anxious and hungry sitting around waiting to leave.

Waiting in the lobby of the hospital seemed to take the longest, for me at least. Although Mr. Date said they called him back pretty quickly before I went in and not too soon thereafter when I was in recovery. I don't think he managed to read much of his two magazines or even had time to find the cafeteria to grab coffee or eat.

The nurses were all really nice and there seemed to be a whole slew of them that I couldn't tell you all their names. Dawn was a chatty woman with a great personality. Unfortunately her IV insertion skills were lacking, which didn't bode well with me since I'm not a fan of needles as it is! She apologized profusely, saying that she had it and then went to far. What???? I wanted to cry. Seriously. I had the same feeling that I did when I looked at the last 22 ounces of stuff to drink and just couldn't do it. Of course I did and I would have the IV. Another nurse came over and put the IV into the vein in the inner part of my elbow and then I waited. Nothing like waiting with a saline flush and a capped off something or other hanging off your body. Fortunately Mr. Date was brought back and I could try to move my thoughts away from the queasiness I was feeling and the inability to look at it.

I was brought into a room, the operating room. It wasn't much bigger than my office cubicle. I seriously had first thought it was just a pass through to get to a larger room. I had never been in an operating room so small, so intimate and it definitely didn't resemble anything on t.v. Maybe because it wasn't a "true" operating room, more a procedural room! The new nurses hooked up the anesthesia, after locating the IV and the last thing I remember was roll over onto my left side. I don't remember doing so. I don't remember anything.

The nurse had warned me about partial to full amnesia. I even mentioned this to Mr. Date almost giving him free reign of entertainment to ask me anything he wanted. I figured my brutal honesty could either make or break us, especially if I never remembered it! He's too sweet, I think, to even try it! Although he did say I was talking in recovery and I don't have any recollection of him or I being there. So maybe he did. He joked that if he was gone when I came to at the house, I would know why!

I called my girlfriend (LL) while I was in the waiting room to see if she had her baby. I hadn't heard from her, so I was pretty sure that was a negative. I had my bet on the baby being born on 7/21 while she is leaning toward 7/23. I left her a message. All night I struggled with recalling that I talked with her. I don't know if I did or if I dreamt it. She told me no baby yet. My phone has no record of her calling or a missed call that she had left me a message. Mr. Date wasn't sure if I talked with her either, getting conversations and messages confused. So I think I talked to her! Other than that, I don't remember anything else that I may have forgotten or only partially recall.

The procedure went well and there were no problems whatsoever. I would definitely not recommend Dulcolax or Miralax for anyone looking for a quick weight loss answer! I was down several pounds in the morning when I got on the scale, but so not worth it!

I'm not really sure where the afternoon went. I know that we took a nap which seemed like five minutes and I was awoken by the ringing of my cell across the house. Eating was no longer a priority. I wasn't hungry and yet I was. I didn't feel like eating. I did manage to eat some celery and peanut butter and made a sandwich for Mr. Date. My stomach was still pretty upset.

Apparently I wasn't suppose to drive for 8 hours afterward, so Mr. Date drove us to go play mini golf. Which was the longest 36 holes ever as we were both pretty hungry as it was after 8p.m. My stomach was still pretty upset, but nothing like it was after dinner! I didn't eat a ton, compared to what I can usually pack away. I just don't think my food selection of salad, bread, steak, veggies and mashed potatoes was the best choice! But it sounded sooo good!

My stomach was upset all night. I seriously felt like I was pregnant with all the kicking. Mr. Date was holding my hand and his arm was against my side and he could feel it and hear it. I definitely would recommend something small to eat for those first few meals!

Other than that, life post colonoscopy is good!

No comments: