Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Growing Up...but not TOO fast

There are some days when my son thinks I'm pretty cool. He still laughs at my corniness and he gets my sarcasm. He finds my daily created songs entertaining and feels he should have been recording them long ago! He isn't into girls yet and there are still days when he openly grabs my hand in public when we are out or leans his head on my shoulder. I love these times. I know that they are numbered, but I cherish every memory, every opportunity, every moment.

Last night my son set his alarm as I wanted to leave for work early. At 4:28a.m. his alarm went off. He had told me he set it for 6:45a.m. Of course I was in a dead stupor when I awoke to the obnoxious buzzing emulating from his room. I let it continue until he turned it off. Fortunately, he didn't attempt to get up and get ready. However, he came bounding in to my room sometime later to tell me we were "WAY LATE" and that we had overslept. I asked him what time it was and he said 9:00a.m. at which point baffled, I grabbed my phone/alarm and saw that it was 6:44a.m.! Inadvertently he forwarded his clock time a few hours by accident!

Then while sharing the bathroom mirror this morning, he exclaimed, "WHAT'S THAT ON MY NOSE?"

And there, on the end of his nose was a tiny white pimple. Yes, his first pimple. And his reaction, "WOW, NOW ISN'T THAT JUST SPECIAL?"

Tonight we went to the Coast Guard festival and watched a not so entertaining water skier show. I had really hoped for something more, but what can you say for cheap entertainment? Besides, it was something out of the norm to do. JN and her friend met us up there. There were people everywhere and I was longing for another funnel cake - although they didn't have the Reese's peanut butter one. We got the turtle funnel cake and it just wasn't the same!

My son decided that he wanted to try his shot at the basketball shoot carnival game. I purchased his first four throws. He was close and he was frustrated. Knowing that he has a lot of money saved at home, I offered if he wanted to pay me back, he could continue to try. $37.00 later, disappointed he gave up. I felt sorry for him; however, it was a lesson that he needed to learn. Sure, I could have stopped him. I could have said "no more". I knew that he would be responsible for paying me back. I knew that he had the money and he never spends it, so if this was how he wanted to spend some of it, so be it. His last shot rolled around the rim before falling out. It really was rather devastating. I felt sorry for him. Clearly he could have parted with that amount of money and had something to show for it. But, it was another life lesson.

Friday night he went to his first boy-girl party. I'm not sure if he was with me if I would have let him go, but fortunately for him, he was with his dad last weekend. I definitely would have called and gotten all the information and found out when, where, who, what. Of course I wasn't privy to much of anything. My son did promise that he would fill me in and if he had his "first kiss" he would tell me about it! He recalls me forcing him to kiss a girl at daycare when he was little as his "first kiss" but did agree to tell me about a second kiss! There was a great group of kids, eleven in all, at the party and most of his good male friends were there. So I was really happy to hear that and he had a great time!

They grow up so fast, but there are so many moments that make me realize that he's growing up just right!

No comments: